PA-50I goes Backwords !??!?

I got a nice Honda Hobbit (PA-50I) for $40 last week. Got it running just by cleaning the carb and points. Totally disassembled painted it and reassembled.

I was set to take my maiden voyage when I quickly realized why this bike was only $40. The rear wheel turns backwards. The engine, pedals and drive belts turn the right way, but somebody must have reworked the transmission and got something bass-ackwords.

Any suggestions on what could be wrong?

I really didn't want to tear into the transmission but I got this bike looking so good I just got to get it running...Forwards that is.

I am fairly coordinated and I guess I could get some mirrors but riding backwards is not my idea of fun. :-)

Thanks,

Curt

Re: PA-50I goes Backwords !??!?

curt

check out your timing. i think its really, really advanced. so far advanced that the engine is running backwards.

this happens to dirt bikes from time to time.

if you can hook up an automotive timing light to it because its running you may see how far off the timing marks are

on the flywheel.

leo

That would be my guess as well, the timing, but before you fix it take it for a run and make sure you don't like backwards better than forwards

Couldn't you tell if the engine was running backwards by watching the drive belt/chain?

but we know its running backwards allready

were just tryin to fix it

What year is your PA50? There a couple of manuals online that will help you, It is not your tarnny but as Leo pointed out it is a timing issues. You need a manual to see how to align the flywheel marks so it fires about 2 degress before TDC (top dead center).

It must be an older PA50 becuse later ones had CDI, yours must have points.

There are some on line manuals at Mopedriders.org under "moped repair"

It's a 1978 Honda Hobbit and yes it does have points.

The engine and drive belt are turning forward. I had the bike up on its stand when I started it. I of course had to turn the pedals forward and the bike started and everything appeared to be running fine but when I revved the engine, the rear wheel and the pedals turned backwards.

The rear wheel is turning in the opposite direction when compared to the engine and drive pulleys.

I haven't gotten the engine running well enough to see how it behaves when both wheels are on the ground.

Is this normal behavior for a PA-50I when the rear-wheel is off the ground?

Thanks,

Curt

Author: David S (---.midltn01.nj.comcast.net)

Verified User: moody

Date Posted: 08-29-04 01:49

but we know its running backwards allready

were just tryin to fix it

===========================================

I guess we don't know that already, eh?

Don Pflueger /

i would venture to say that if you pedal forward to start the engine, then it should be running forward otherwise it would snap the pedals backwards as it started. doesnt the 78 pa50 have a gear driven variator in the rear wheel? you may have the pulley on backwards or the gears lined up wrong or something when you reassembled the rear wheel. that or the stator is mounted 180 degrees off. but as i said, it would rip the pedals backwards when the engine turned over.

Curt attached is an exploded parts view of the "Final reduction gear" or transmission.

Doesn't look like there is much in there that could be reversed. Maybe part # 7 or #5, if #5 is not all one piece.

1093808277_honda_pa50_final_reduction_gear.gif

That tranny cannot be put together wrong..

there's something about this post that aint quite right.. my first thought yesterday was its a lame troll, but maybe someone is just badly mistaken

I would almost guarantee its the timing. won't most mopeds run backwards when the timing is 180 degrees off?

Thanks for all the input....

Honestly I was not mistaken. The rear wheel turned backwards twice. I have witnesses and a major bruised shin to prove it.

This bike had been sitting for years and the previous owner was never able to get it running.

The motor was running in the right direction, and the drive pulleys were also turning forward. I sat and studied this thing for several minutes while it idled and the rear wheel and pedals turned backwards.

I do have a timing issue. The points are worn out and aren't even flush together when closed. I have new points on the way.

I worked on it for quite a while and was able to get the timing close, so instead of starting the bike on its stand, I pedaled down the road and got it to run. That was a couple of hours ago. Since then I have started it with the rear wheel elevated and it has always turned forward.

I know it sounds crazy but it really was turning backwards. Believe me there are enough BS posts on this forum...I wouldn't add to them.

Thanks to everyone.

Curt

Don Pflueger /

any 2 stroke can run backwards. the timing just needs to be set at tdc. they fire every stroke. so, he may have his timing retarded 2 degrees or something and not off 180 degrees like i thought this morning. this is strange because i would think if it were running backwards, he would have to pedal it backwards. they wwill run in the direction they are spun.

if your point are all goofed out, that can mess up your timing, which the guys that really know their shit all say the timing it the problem :P

Ones I rebuilt an old Harly two cycle golf cart, the motor was switched from forward to reverse by changing the timing with a lever. Two stokes can run backwards.

Don Pflueger /

those run backwards because you crank the starter/generator in either direction when you run them.the timing on those is set at tdc.

ive repaired a few harley 3 and 4 wheel golf carts and had one of my own that i modified to do close to 65 mph. it was fun til i rolled it. it was a three wheeler.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account