idles, but won't push up into higher rpms...help!

Reuben Mahaffy /

I recently attached a 70cc airsal kit w/ technigas and 16/16G dellorto carb to my '01 targa. Upon starting it up, i've found that it will idle ok, but applying any pressure to the throttle will at first render a small RPM increase, but then have no effect. I've checked the carb twice over, and even tried it with the stock carb with no change -- ruling out a carb problem. One thing that did happen was when installing, i broke a piston ring. When the new ones arrived, one of the new ones was slightly larger than the other two -- i didn't put the bigger one in for fear of it binding, but should it be on the top one? Do the symptoms sound like a loss of compression due to this? Any suggestions/insight would be appreciated,

Thanks.

Re: idles, but won't push up into higher rpms...he

Have you observed that the throttle slide is actually lifting when you roll the throttle? don-ohio

Reuben Mahaffy /

yes, i have. Took off the air filter and the gate can be seen to move all the way up.

So, your telling me your running w/ one piston ring or I read your post wrong?

Reuben Mahaffy /

sorry, no, i'm running with two. Broke one on the install, ordered two more, and installed the smaller two of the three i had left. I'm considering a fuel petcock problem now, am going to check that out today. It seems to me that it has to be a problem before the cylinder, since i'm not seeing any unburned fuel pass through the exhaust -- is this logical thinking?

yes, start from the tank and work your way to the ENG.

start with what's easy, and the simple answer.

Reuben Mahaffy /

i don't have a gasket b/w the cylinder and the head -- but i've read that you're not supposed to. Is this correct? It seems like it would not seal perfectly, causing a loss of compression... or no?

Okay.....this is no insult, but it has happened plenty of times.......are you sure you have the piston in there correctly? Sometimes they'll run even if the arrow on the crown of the piston is not facing DOWN toward the exhaust port like it should be. Seen it happen before. don-ohio (:^)

Reuben Mahaffy /

that is something that i was conscious of during the install, but in the absence of any other ideas, i will check again.

Yeah......it's probably not the problem, but if that piston is 180 degrees off, it will NOT accelerate. don-ohio

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account