improvised gas cap?

Althea Erickson /

I've searched high and low for a gas cap for my 78 vespa bravo and have found nothing. Does anyone have ideas for how i might make one that'd work? Anyone done this? I'm not worried about aesthetics, here...

Re: improvised gas cap?

Did you caLL HANDY bIKES? 1-614-299-0550? Or did you go to www.vespasupershop.com ? They generally have all Vespa parts. don-ohio

Althea Erickson /

thanks for the tip.

Yeah, i've exhausted everything i can think of. Handy bikes didn't have anything. Vespasupershop isn't accepting orders for a few months cause they're moving. Tried mopedwarehouse, mopedjunkyard, scootertherapy, stinky pig cycles (which was parting out a bravo) and a couple other places i found on the internet. I posted on a bunch of forums and scan ebay on the daily, emailing people that are selling anything off a bravo. No luck.

I also tried one of those universal caps and it didn't fit.

So: i figure i have to make one myself. Is this a ridiculous idea?

at my local home depot tey have big cork plug like tou put on wine bottle but with a shape more like this \/ up to something like 2 inch diameter maybe it could work

Franky-D

Here is what you can do. It's not pretty but it works great. You go to the plumbing section of Home Depot or Lowe's or Whatever, and get one of the adjustable stoppers they have. It has a screw that you tighten that expands the edges of the stopper so it seals it completely.

you dont want it to seal completely though. you need a little gap for air to get into the tank

nick

yes you really could use a cork as long as you put a small hole in it somewhere.

improvised gas cap?

_I’ve searched high and low for a gas cap for my 78 vespa bravo and have found nothing. Does anyone have ideas for how i might make one that’d work? Anyone done this? I’m not worried about aesthetics, here…_

Does your gas cap screw on or do just push it in?

I've seen both types for Bravos.

My question is the same as Cyberian's. Is a screw on type gas cap. If so I may have one or be able to order you one.

Email me if you need the screw on type.

zippymoped@yahoo.com

Althea Erickson /

Thanks everyone for all the advice. it is indeed a screw on cap, so maybe i won't need to do the cork thing after all. All the better, cause who knows where the nearest home depot is in nyc...

a couple quick questions: is the home depot stopper made of cork? AND: how big should the whole be? pin sized? bigger?

thanks again, Althea

Patrick Mattison /

it has to vent to release vacuum though

dont mess with the cork. if thes guys cant order you one i'll make it. ive done it before. but lets do it with style

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account