vespa , now no spark

i had a previous problem with my vespa 048, it would run but within about five mins it would die. we cleaned the carbs. and the points and the fuel line (which was clogged), hooked it all back up and now we get no spark. thought maybe we flooded it trying to adjust the fuel and got another spark plug and will try that today but just wondering if there may be something we have missed. the lights come on when we try to start it so we know the magneto is working. any ideas?

Re: vespa , now no spark

Don Pflueger /

is your tail light bulb good or did you just check the headlight?

both lights work good

Don Pflueger /

i dont remember for sure how the wire harness is run, but i think everything is under the flywheel and there are two wires that come from the magneto. but anyway, disconnect the one that runs up to the kill switch and then test for spark again. doing this should isolate everything to just the components needed for spark. you will have to ground the wire you disconnect to shut the bike off if it starts. go here, there are vespa service manuals online that you can look at to find the problem. most times its dirty or misadjusted points, or a bad condensor.

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_cat.php?fldAuto=2&sid=7ae578431269e2d75c1cd74301c184d4

thank you

I think we covered this in an email but for the benefit of other mopeders who may have Vespa Grandes,

When you cleaned the fuel line, there is a black wire that plugs into the top of the engine case near where the fuel petcock comes out of the frame. You may have knocked this loose while removing the fuel line.

The black wire is the ground for the ignition circuit. If it is disconnected, you won't get spark.

There is also a Red wire that connects to the top of the engine case opposite the black wire. If this is disconnected, you won't have lights.

I checked the tail light bulb and it is still good.

the black wire was also still attatched but the wires were showing in one spot so we taped it with some electrical tape, could we have shorted something out on it?

Possible the exposed wire could have shorted but I doubt it. More important that is is fastened securely to the top of the engine case.

Are you getting spark yet?

If not also check the wires connected to the back of the coil. They and the coil are located on the right side of the bike very near the fuel line so it's possible a wire have been pulled loose.

Also twist the spark cap on the spark plug wire to make sure it is screwed securely on the spark plug wire.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account