Sticky Motobecane Clutch/Variator

Matthew Westberg /

Okay I was out riding with my timing freshly tuned (RUNS GREAT, OH YEAH!), but I noticed a problem: When I stopped the ped, the variator had not disengaged, i.e. the engine was still in its physical full-throttle position. I knocked it back into place just fine (I didn't hit it very hard, I wouldn't force such a thing too much) and when I tried turning it on and off again it maxed out and decelerated just fine, with no real sticking.

HOWEVER, I don't want to take any chances, I suspect that I just need to grease the variator (through that infernal grease nipple?) and this is something that had been on my mind for a while now anyway.

Has anybody done this? is there an easy way to do it? how should I go about doing it if I don't have a grease gun with a nozzle that fits that nipple? I heard it was a pain in the ass to do, so any help would be appreciated.

Re: Sticky Motobecane Clutch/Variator

See Ya Moped Army /

Here's a "trick" that I came up with to grease the clutch if you have one of those flat grease fittings. Motobecane Dealers used a special grease gun to grease clutches with these flat fittings. To do it my way, you will definitely need a conventional grease gun to pump grease in there. You can get a small one at wal-mart for a few bucks.

First, remove the little flat grease fitting and replace it with a grease fitting from a speedo drive unit. The drive unit grease fitting fits perfectly. Pump some grease in through the fitting (not too much). When you're done, remove the speedo drive unit grease fitting and replace it with the original flat grease fitting. If you have an extra speedo drive unit grease fitting, just use it in place of the flat grease fitting.

That's it!

Larry -

Is that speedo grease fitting a standard "zerk" fitting?

OR

You can buy a needle grease gun adapter at auto parts stores. This adaptor allows you to inject grease throught the standard fitting.

My first bike was missing the fitting, and i was having the same problem you are. Because i couldn't inject grease into the cariator, i simply removed the belt, then smeared a thin layer of grease on the plate where the three balls spin. A long flat head screwdriver worked well for this.

Solved my problem, and it should work for you.

Matthew Westberg /

What on EARTH is a speedo drive unit?

See Ya Moped Army /

It's the round thing on your wheel that the speedo cable attaches to.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account