Motobecane Timing

Ok. I took everyone's advice and got a book on 2 stroke engines. But the problem is, most of the books on 2 stroke engines in my town's library are geares towards lawnmowers and chainsaws.

Do motobecane's have Stator plates? Or do you rotate the point assembly? Or am I just straight up completely missing something here?

I'm pretty suer the timing's off because the engine will randomly "pop" after I've been idling at a light or something for a while. And then it will only go maybe 50% speed with little power. But then I'll shut it off for maybe 5 minutes and it will run fine for me.

Re: Motobecane Timing

Adam Foreman /

thats how mines running. at full throtle i can hit 30 sometimes but sometimes it seems to drag and i roll at about 18. if you figure out how to fix that email me please

Don Pflueger /

Matthew Westberg /

Haha! I just fixed this problem today, not an hour ago. I had a similar problem a few weeks ago I was running mostly okay, with a slight power loss, and then my power went to hell and I couldn't even break 15 mph.

Basically, you have to get the cam puller tool from the moped warehouse and remove the timing cam from the end of the crankshaft then reset the timing by re-aligning that cam so that the points begin to open at 2mm before top dead centre (vertical cylinder measurement).

My 79' moby now runs FANTASTIC again, I may be even hitting 35 mph on good flats. Oh how I love breaking the speedometer. ^___^

Thanks, Bjerg.

How much are these cam pullers?

Matthew Westberg /

$24 for the original version and $20 for the Indian-made knockoff. I would suspect that both would work just fine.

One thing I realized about the points on a motobecane is that the adjustment plate is DESIGNED in such a way that the points can never really be that far out of alignment, and serious timing problems are probably caused by the cam slipping out of alignment -- it's only wedged on, there's no locking grove or threads or _anything_ that locks it to the crankshaft!

Don Pflueger /

no key way or grooves??? thats odd.

See Ya Moped Army /

Nope, you just tap it on. When you are setting the timing, just slip the cam loosely on the shaft. Once you get the timing where it needs to be, then tap it on.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account