dellorto carb float replacement

Anybody know how difficult it is to replace a Dell Orto float and needle? This is coming from someone with little engine experience. My minarelli V1 is difficult to start, kills at idle (and then won't start back up), and only runs at high speed. I'm thinking a stuck float. Any ideas?

Re: dellorto carb float replacement

Ben Van Zoest /

Not very, shut off gas pull gas line off. Loosen clamp bolt on intake pipe wiggle carb off it will leak some gas/mix.

No need to remove the throttle cable while you unscrew the 2 float bowl screws. To remove float push pivot pin to one side the remove the float. You will see a stem with a cone tip that's what shuts off the gas whenever there is no demand.

In your case the carb seems to flood overflow hole maybe clogged or float needle is stuck!

Do you use the choke on cold starts?

Before you put the carb back on poor 1 cc fuel/mix in the intake tube, this primes the crank case it worked for me many times after fixing fuel problems and get the engine started. How many miles, plug good, timing and breaker point gap ok?

Yeah, the plug is brand new (bought it yesterday), milage is a no no (the odometer is broken), and far as gaps and timing, I have no idea how to check that. If the float needle is stuck, is that a replacement or cleaning? If things in the carb just need to be cleaned, what's the best way to do that?

Ohh yeah. The choke lever has a spring that keeps it in the up position. This problem struck very suddenly, and before that I never used the choke.

Ben Van Zoest /

You can see a tiny tab to the right of the round choke plate, press in and the choke moves back. It's suppose to restore after warm-up how I have NO idea....

Someone told me not to use the choke unless it's very cold...

Don Pflueger /

you need to tighten up the throttle cable. opening up the throttle to just past full throttle allows the choke to kick off. you need to use it every time you first start the engine when its cold.

Instructions (with pictures) for cleaning a DellO'rto carb:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bwebb08/my_photos

Ben Van Zoest /

Sure will try that, thanks donp

So I cleaned out the carb... now it kills when I give it gas. Unless I hold down the choke lever, give it gas, then release choke lever, then it will go full throttle. I assume this is mixture problem? Anyone know how to adjust that? I'm bringing it in to a guy tomorrow morning. Oh yeah, and the banjo going into the carb seems to leak, any ideas how to fix that?

Drew DellOtor carbs on Vespas have an "Idle jet" that is hard to find so often missed in the cleaning of the carb.

Look at the attcahed pic and go to the link that Cyberian posted http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/bwebb08/my_photos

If your carb has this Idle jet and you clean it properly your bike should then idle OK.

You have to use a tiny piece of wire like a single strand of a control cable or piano wire. I use a very small #74 drill bit to clean the hole. I don't drill it, the bit is smaller than the Idel jet hole and is just used to clean it out,

Once you use the wire you can then use wd40, carb cleaner and then use compressed air to blow it out..

I have Carb rebuild kits for the Dell Orto carb if you need one. The kit includes the washers you need to stop the leak.

My email is zippymoped.yahoo.com

1093417934_dellorto_carb_idle_jet.jpg

Bill -

That is your site, isn't it?

I linked to it before and credited you, but forgot this time.

Dave

No problem Dave that's why I posted the pics. A picture is worth a 1000 words unless you are young and in love : )

http://mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/1/155251/155251/

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account