Motobecanes and Dellorto Carbs

I am looking to restore a 77 motobecane 40T. It has no carb. Does anyone have any experience with fitting a Dellorto carb on the motobecane. My 68 Mobylette has one, but it came that way so I'm not sure how it was accomplished. Mainly I am wondering about witchcraft that would have to be done with the intake manifold and jetting.

Re: Motobecanes and Dellorto Carbs

Just ask ChrisMWH or Ike for the original Gurtner carb, hook it up and go. MopedLar also would have a used one. don-ohio

i dont know about the gurtners, but i have heard they are a much bigger pain in the neck than upgrading to a dellorto. my 50v has a dellorto that was simple to install. i got lucky with the jetting, it was correct when i got it. the intake took a piece of hi-heat rubber to make the seal

Where did you buy the Dellorto that it came jetted correctly?

there is an thread on EXACTLY this topic search for it

its a popular subject. Who wouldn't want to replace their 10mm gurtner with a 15mm Dellorto?

1977 Mopeds in Kalamazoo, MI. i had to re-set it all. a lot of metal shim stock/high-heat/ cuss words got the job finished. theres really no "easy" way to do it, but it can get done. a good maching shop could add onto your intake and shave it until the carb fits correctly, but that was going to take longer than i wanted

See Ya Moped Army /

If you want to upjet from a 10 or 12mm Gurtner to a 15mm carb, you better make sure that you have at least a 30 mph model cylinder or you will be throwing away your money. Stock Motobecane cylinders came with different size intake ports for different speed models. The biggest stock Moby cylinder accomodates a 12mm carb.

If you have a variator, you will benefit from a larger dellorto. The 15/15 needs a shim to fit properly, while the 16/16 fits perfectly on the hook-shaped manifold. However, the 16/16 will make you bike idle high unless you switch to a different throttle assembly, like Magura or Domino.

I'm pretty sure any cylinder will benefit from a larger carb, the larger-ported ones more so.

as far as i know, the cylinder is stock. ive put about 200 miles down on the shimmed SHA 16/16c. no engine problems, it idles nicely, and i can get near 30

Quick!

What jet sizes should I have for my Dellorto 15.15 on my moby 50v? I don't know which size came with it, and would like to make it better/faster. I'm using it now, and get 30-33 mph & I weigh 315. Can I do better changing the jet size?

You want a 58,59,60 jet on your 50V, depending where you live.

The Dellorto comes stock with a 68 ,way too big.

sacrifice a solex at dawn...lol I don't know but many on here do listen well to the advice of the wise ones, I used to think I knew peds untill I came here..I have learned sooo much and continue to. Best of luck!

HAD V50 B WITH 10 MM CARB. 20 MPH MAX

PUT ON THE DELLORTO 15. AS IN THE LINK WITH #59 JET

NOW 30 MPH + best thing i ever did for my motobecane !!

I have same basic setup, but with stock jet. a 68? I used to get 25mph, but now get 30-33, and I weigh 315.

Mine is also a "B" version. Someone had explained what the differences were. Can someone refresh my memory? I think there was a link to it. Something about different "versions" being faster?

And I'm also stoked about the Dellorto!!

A type are _30mph_ , B type _25mph_ ,C type _20mph_

So much for the codes..

See the A type with shorty and 15/15 dellorto, 12 mm shorty

Now see thew B type with a 10mm shorty and 15/15 Dellorto

You need the insert on the inlet to fit the carb, you may want to use an old 10mm gurtner insert for this purpose

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account