Motobecanes and Dellorto Carbs

I am looking to restore a 77 motobecane 40T. It has no carb. Does anyone have any experience with fitting a Dellorto carb on the motobecane. My 68 Mobylette has one, but it came that way so I'm not sure how it was accomplished. Mainly I am wondering about witchcraft that would have to be done with the intake manifold and jetting.

Re: Motobecanes and Dellorto Carbs

Just ask ChrisMWH or Ike for the original Gurtner carb, hook it up and go. MopedLar also would have a used one. don-ohio

i dont know about the gurtners, but i have heard they are a much bigger pain in the neck than upgrading to a dellorto. my 50v has a dellorto that was simple to install. i got lucky with the jetting, it was correct when i got it. the intake took a piece of hi-heat rubber to make the seal

Where did you buy the Dellorto that it came jetted correctly?

there is an thread on EXACTLY this topic search for it

its a popular subject. Who wouldn't want to replace their 10mm gurtner with a 15mm Dellorto?

1977 Mopeds in Kalamazoo, MI. i had to re-set it all. a lot of metal shim stock/high-heat/ cuss words got the job finished. theres really no "easy" way to do it, but it can get done. a good maching shop could add onto your intake and shave it until the carb fits correctly, but that was going to take longer than i wanted

See Ya Moped Army /

If you want to upjet from a 10 or 12mm Gurtner to a 15mm carb, you better make sure that you have at least a 30 mph model cylinder or you will be throwing away your money. Stock Motobecane cylinders came with different size intake ports for different speed models. The biggest stock Moby cylinder accomodates a 12mm carb.

If you have a variator, you will benefit from a larger dellorto. The 15/15 needs a shim to fit properly, while the 16/16 fits perfectly on the hook-shaped manifold. However, the 16/16 will make you bike idle high unless you switch to a different throttle assembly, like Magura or Domino.

I'm pretty sure any cylinder will benefit from a larger carb, the larger-ported ones more so.

as far as i know, the cylinder is stock. ive put about 200 miles down on the shimmed SHA 16/16c. no engine problems, it idles nicely, and i can get near 30

Quick!

What jet sizes should I have for my Dellorto 15.15 on my moby 50v? I don't know which size came with it, and would like to make it better/faster. I'm using it now, and get 30-33 mph & I weigh 315. Can I do better changing the jet size?

You want a 58,59,60 jet on your 50V, depending where you live.

The Dellorto comes stock with a 68 ,way too big.

sacrifice a solex at dawn...lol I don't know but many on here do listen well to the advice of the wise ones, I used to think I knew peds untill I came here..I have learned sooo much and continue to. Best of luck!

HAD V50 B WITH 10 MM CARB. 20 MPH MAX

PUT ON THE DELLORTO 15. AS IN THE LINK WITH #59 JET

NOW 30 MPH + best thing i ever did for my motobecane !!

I have same basic setup, but with stock jet. a 68? I used to get 25mph, but now get 30-33, and I weigh 315.

Mine is also a "B" version. Someone had explained what the differences were. Can someone refresh my memory? I think there was a link to it. Something about different "versions" being faster?

And I'm also stoked about the Dellorto!!

A type are _30mph_ , B type _25mph_ ,C type _20mph_

So much for the codes..

See the A type with shorty and 15/15 dellorto, 12 mm shorty

Now see thew B type with a 10mm shorty and 15/15 Dellorto

You need the insert on the inlet to fit the carb, you may want to use an old 10mm gurtner insert for this purpose

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account