why does my Vespa Ciao backfire when I start it?

Jim Fitzgerald /

I have a 1974 Vespa Ciao. When I try to start it with the choke on and not pulling on the throttle, it doesn't start. I have to pedal and have the throttle cranked all the way to get it to start, and then I have to rev it for a while so it won't stall. Is this normal for a 2-stroke engine? Also, sometimes when I'm at a red light for a little while, it will stall, and I will pedal through the intersection to start it. It usually takes about 100 feet to start up, and it usually backfires right when it starts. I know when it is going to start because it backfires right beforehand. Any suggestions?

Re: why does my Vespa Ciao backfire when I start i

Timing needs adjusting or bad premix

Re: why does my Vespa Ciao backfire when I start i

timing problem.......

.............check your ignition point gap thru the little rubber

window in the flywheel

.......gap should be .35-.45mm............or .013-.017 inch

.......spark plug gap of.60mm or .24inch

Re: why does my Vespa Ciao backfire when I start it?

mine is having the same problem : / i think perhaps it's because of my mix. not quite sure how to do a proper mix. first time moped owner.

sandy

Start a new thread, it will work out better.

Try a new plug.

Check your point gap. Likely that you don't have enough dwell or something. Doesn't sound like a mechanical issue or carburetor issue. Bikes that you have to pedal really fast to start and are hard to start but run fine otherwise generally have poor dwell or some other cause of weak spark. (edited)

Francisco Aranda /

bad condenser

seals....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account