bing carb fuel out of pin hole

Michael Pawlak /

My bing carb persists to shoot gas out of the wheep hole next to the primer. WHat did I do? Can I adjust this? It stops when I turn the gas petcock off.

Re: bing carb fuel out of pin hole

Leon Swarmer /

sounds like the float isn't closing off the valve.

Michael Pawlak /

Any way to adjust the float for this issue? THe issue started after I used the primer button on top. I have drained the carb and tried again - but still leaks. Maybe the float is warn?

Leon Swarmer /

I don't know Bings, but most floats move a needle valve.

a bit of crud between the pointy part and the seat can cause this problem.

the arm holding the float can be adjusted for the right height.If you know what that is. floats can also leak and fill Or partiallly fill with gas and cause this issue.

Michael Pawlak /

I must have misplaced the needle when I cleaned the carb. I subsituted another one from another carb, however, it is not the correct one - but it runs. Now I have fuel comming out of the wheep hole prior to the needle area. Just below the fuel inlet.

Ben Van Zoest /

Is the carburator on straight I mean bottom of the bowl level?

Steve Murphy /

The circuit that controls fuel flow into the bowl on a bing carb is very simple:

When the bowl is empty, the float drops to the bottom of the bowl. This opens a needle valve (NOT the long one that controls partial throttle fuel jetting), allowing fuel to fill the bowl. As the float rises, the valve gradually closes until no fuel flows into the bowl. When you hit the primer button, the float is forced low into the bowl, the valve opens and fuel is allowed to flow into and through the carb and out the pin hole.

So, I can think of only three things that can cause this problem to happen: Stuck needle valve, stuck primer button, bad or sticking float. All these can easily be checked and repaired or replaced. If the fuel is leaking around the float bowl, the seal is probably bad.

Good diagnostics, smurf!

Since the problem started when he used the primer, I'd start there.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account