Carburetor Cleaning

I have just recently bought a 1983 Suzuki FA50 moped and want to clean the Carb. because of hearing how it can improve speed. My moped can not go past 25mph right now so all I want to do is open the carburetor to see if there is any goo. If I unscrew the carb., will gas or oil start leaking all over the place? or can I unscrew it the clean it with out any trouble? Tx, I'm extremely new at this and trying to learn by doing things myself.

Carburetor Cleaning

You're going to have to disconnect the gas line from the carburator.

Close the petcock (fuel valve) first then get a can or jar to catch the gas when you unhook the fuel line.

I would do this all outside if possible.

Re: Carburetor Cleaning

thank you much

another thing when cleaning a carburetor it is important that if you are using a chem make sure it is for carbs,and if you can take the gaskets out do-so because the chemical will eat the seals causing your carburetor to leak, best to clean a carb with an air compressor to blow rather than push with a chemical.

You're welcome.

Take a half hour and read through "Fred's Guide", for some helpful general information about Moped repair.

You may not need any of the information there right now, but you will in the future, trust me.

The guide is listed under 'articles' in the Resource section found at the very top of this page.

Dave

Yeah, I was reading through it but one thing I cant figure out is where the carburetor is (does anyone have a picture) and also the gas shutoff valve is? I'm sorry again for not knowing anything, but I have also looked hours online so far and not finding anyluck with my type of moped.

The reason I want to Clean the carb. is because when I'm driving, it stops on 25mph right on the dot and won't go more, even down the hill. I've checked the air filter, but nothing appears to be wrong with it. Is it possible it could be a governor, and if it is would any of you know what it looks like (The spedometer goes up to 40mph)?

Ben Van Zoest /

Post a picture focusing on the motor section. Someone could point out were the carb is....

Okay, I dont need to know where the carburetor is because I found bikebandit with a picture of it, but bike bandit doesnt have a petcock.

Yet I'm sorry again to be answering my premature questions but my last and final question before shuting up is; Which setting do I put the petcock in (On, pri, or res)???? I would kinda like to know really soon if at all posible.

Michael Romano /

Put the petcock to "ON" when running your ped. When Not running your ped Put it on "PRI" which is where it should be when messing with the carb and the "RES" stands for reserve which is used when you run out of gas it gives you a small amount of gas to keep going with.

I must respectfully disagree with this last suggestion. In my case, if you leave the petcock lever in the "PRI" position for longer than a few minutes, you will have fuel all over the ground. From what I understand, the purpose of this position is to prime the fuel bowl and carb with fuel. If you leave it in this position, fuel will continue to gravity flow down and overflow out the vent/overeflow tube. At least this is what happened to me. If I haven't ridden for awhile, I put the lever in the "PRI" position for a minute or two to fill the bowl. Then I move it to the "ON" position and start it up and leave it there until the next time I go for a ride. You can experiment, but I'm just reporting what I found to be true for my FA50

Yeah, I have a Yamaha Chappy, on PRI it flows like a river, I guess the only off it the carb with the petcock on ON?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account