is the starting lever also the brake lever?

I dont know if it is or not for my express and I cant ride without brakes.

Re: is the starting lever also the brake lever?

Leon Swarmer /

puchman, please give more info when you ask questions.

The rear (left hand) brake lever on a pre-1981 Express is also the starting lever.

if you are talking about the wind (foot rachet)lever it is ONLY for starting

walk the bike without the engine running and pull that left hand lever. It should stop you cold. if so then you can straddle the bike and push with your feet then try it. Still Ok?, then fire up the bike and try it.

then try the same for the front brake (right hand lever),,,,errrr don't try it with only the front brake and the engine running unless you like doing endos

as you get to know the bike you can find the balance to use both levers at the same time smoothly.

Leon

well my right one is broken so the back is my only option and the ped is not running now and I am fixing everything I can while I am waiting for parts

Leon Swarmer /

better the left one working than the right ... no wait, you BMX.you might like ednos..nah you only use the rear brake on your racing bike anyway.. that's all I had on my cruiser

well this is one you can check out without the ped running anyway.

Nope doesnt work,shit I cant ride without brakes but on my bmx bike I have riddin with no brakes,only front brakes and only back brakes never more than one brake.

Leon Swarmer /

is the cable moving the arm at the back wheel when you squeeze it.?

if it isn't you won't have brakes and you won't be able to start it/

it will start it becuase I wound it up and pulled the lever and it tried to start so I know it works

Leon Swarmer /

great, it means the cable works till the middle of the bike.

This bike is showing some promise. W hat about at the back wheel?? does anything move??

What do you mean?

Hey you got an express too.the back wheel moves freely if thats what you mean.I remounted the tank today after sea welding it and painting it with rustoleom.now needs fuel lines to start.and throttle cable and seat to be able to ride(still needs alot more work after that like headlight tailight battery and brakes. if anyone has anything I said I needed except fuel lines then please post or email me

Leon Swarmer /

take a look

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/honda/express/hexpresssm.htm

on pg 8-1 left side middle pic

The arm that is connected to the cable there should move forward when you squeeze the handle.

if it doesn't,see if you can move it by hand at the back wheel

pg 18-1 also shows you a pic of that brake arm

unplug the headlight if you are going to try to start it without a battery $30.00 a pop...and it will pop.

I have an 80 And an 81 express.

mine looks like this one

actually same year same condition.this one is identical to this one

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account