My '78 Express needs some help

I just acquired free of charge, an OK condition green '78 Honda Express NC50. I was told it was last running about three years ago. I cleaned some cosmetic stuff the carb looks fine the piston is fine, but all the cables except the odometer and front brake are somehow seized im not yet sure if its due to rust or just tight bolts(choke,rear brake/starter spring release, and throttle are stuck). It spent its life in southern California in a relatively dry place and was in a shed most of the time so there isnt too much rust. I currently have the gas tank off. The wind up is stuck and the when I pull the release cable/rear brake, nothing happens. What should i do? If you would like pictures or further info Instant Message me through aol at 'doinkers123'.Without the ''s.

Re: My '78 Express needs some help

Leon Swarmer /

lubricate the cables at every place you can get in. Don't forget it at the starter release, too.

The brake cable pulls an arm that makes the brake shoes engage. pull on that arm (forward) and see it it will move a bit. if it will, it's prolly just the cable.

I'd prolly pull the cable off that arm and try pulling and shoving on the inner cable. after you get it lose (hopefullllllllly)

re -connect it to the rear brake. you should have .4-.6 inches of play at the left end of the brake handle.

havent done this on a ped, but similar has worked on a bunch of bicycles.

you may wait for other answers, too.

The express is fun. enjoy it.

Leon

Aaron Roemer /

Try looking at the service manual for some help as well...

http://www.mopedriders.org/html/manuals/honda/express/hexpresssm.htm

Ok i got the brake cables seized up thanks a million. I can wind and release the starter, but i have come across a new problem. The throttle is stuck so i took off the carb and noticed the cylinder inside that regulates airflow seems to be stuck. I took the top of the carb and pulled but it wouldnt come out. I gave it a nice soaking of WD-40 and its yet to come off. Is there something im forgetting? help would be greatly appreciated

ok scratch that last bit i unfreed the carb and took it upart.... surface rust. it doesnt seem like its to teh point where its clogging and i cleaned most of it off but theres still some on the pipes and in the bottom of the bowl. should i replace or try what i have first.

Leon Swarmer /

if its at the bottom of the bowl now it will shake loose when you add fuel and ride it.might as well clean it while you have it open.

yeah i got most of it out. but my throttle cable really is seized

Leon Swarmer /

When I have a really nasty stuck cable and it is free at one end, I go up and down the length of the cable making u turns in it. Not tight enough to kink it, but tight enough to sometimes feel the inner cable moving in the housing.

It takes a delicate touch. anyway if you can do it, you can move up or down to where the inner cable isn't moving at all.

That's the area that needs more attention.. a lot of gentle u turns in every direction you can make it move. Sometimes it works, sometimes you buy a new cable.

i got the throttle cable unseized and the carb unseized but now when i pull the throttle the carb sticks open. the outer cable is a little frayed and broken at the end by the handlebars. did i forget to do something to the carb or should i just breakdown and buy a new smooth cable

Leon Swarmer /

May be time to buy a cable, but you could see if it will start first. mine doesn't like you to touch the throttle when it starts

errr did you get the choke cable moving yet?

choke cable moves a bit dont know how much it has to move. fixed the throttle. i dont get any spark but the speedometer light goes on when i release the wind. i dont have a headlight or the other small indicator light

Leon Swarmer /

This is the choke lever fully extended.

the other light is the turn signal indicator

o;k i think i got the choke under control but nw when i try to start it i dont get spark. i cleaned the contacts for teh coil and grounding and managed to get 2 sparks but i bought a new plug and no new sparks are yet to be found. will i need a new coil? points? im not sure

Leon Swarmer /

Have you cleaned the battery terminals? (under the seat)

is it charged?

where did you see the spark? Did you gap the pug properly.

Ground a plug to your engine's head( inuslated tools here), put the plug wire on it and spin the engine and look for spark in the plug gap. It is is blue smile. if not ,,hmmm

could easily be time to look at, file, set points, and then set timing. whew

congrats though you are making steady progress.

jax184's guide

Leon Swarmer /

Michael, I should have sent you here before , it could be useful and he hasn't chimed in yet. don't know if you did a search or not.

copy both lines

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/read.php?f=6&i=5035&t=5035

Re: jax184's guide

Jonas Quimby /

I actually would have chimed in had I not been talking to him since the first post over AIM.

Dont think I'm slacking off here!

hehe

Leon Swarmer /

I though I was going to have to dock your wages.

Jonas Quimby /

Nah, I was providing online real time consulting and advice for days! I should get overtime pay!

Leon Swarmer /

I thought Michael was going pretty fast. Look for a bonus on your next check

Leon

ok thanks for all our help. it runs and i can crank around the street at about 25 b4 it bogs down. i just need to do some adjusting thanks your advice has got this thing running almost to par in about a week.

Congrats..you've learned

Leon Swarmer /

good to have another one on the road again... be gentle on the starter and keep those gears well lubed. Keep learning and help someone else along, Mine topped out at 27. I put in a new petcock and now it runs 28...Wow, I can almost reach the speed limit.

Leon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account