Why does my Vespa Ciao stall when brakes applied?

Jim Fitzgerald /

It runs fine, except that when I apply the brakes and I'm not going very fast the engine just cuts out. I don't have a bulb in the taillight. Could this be the problem?

Re: Why does my Vespa Ciao stall when brakes appli

Jim Fitzgerald /

It will idle just fine; it doesn't always have to be moving. I can start it up and sit there for a few minutes, and it will still be idling, but as soon as I apply the brakes from a standstill, the moped stalls.

Replace the brake light bulb before you do anything else.

I assume that you have a 6 Volt system.

This site may help:

http://www.cnautoparts.com/Autoparts/LAMP/

The light bulb you are missing is a dual filament bulb, one filament for the Tail Light and the other for the brake light. The Ciao is wired so that if your brake light is burned out or in your case missing, the ignition circuit is broken each time you apply your brakes. You need a GE 1154 bulb.

As a temporary fix (and ONLY a temporary fix) disconnect the two wires at each brake lever. That way when you apply your brakes the brake light switches are not connected and your engine won't die.

Go to an auto parts store and get the GE 1154. If they don't have one in stock have them order you 2 or 3. You can also go on the Internet and order them, do a Google search on GE 1154.

Get that light bulb and don't ride without it. Don't want to read about you in the Darwin awards.

Happy Trails

Bruce Wilkinson /

Just curious, is it idling with the rear wheel off the ground, on the kickstand, or is the wheel on the ground? Will it idle with the wheel on the ground ? bruce

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account