Motobecane exaust keeps coming off engine head

yeah, i'm about out of ideas to to keep my exaust attached to my engine block. i have a 1980 moby motobecane, and it's a simple screw on to the engine. i cleaned the threads on both the engine and screw lock and good old teflon tape didnt work. any ideas thanks

brandon

Re: Motobecane exaust keeps coming off engine head

There are supposed to be two(2) points were the exhaust is fixed to the engine. The first is the screw in the cylinder, and the second is at the bottom of the engine block. The two mounts working together should keep your exhaust from rattling loose. I torque the screw-in mount with a pair of channel locks, then out the second screw in hand tight. Push the bracekt as far forward on the exhaust as it will go, making sure that it is clamping the pipe as securely as possible, then torwue it down. Assuming all your parts are in good working order, this will be sufficient to hold your exhaust on.

I had the same problem with my 77 motobecane and it turns out the cylinder threads were stripped, even though i couldn't really tell without taking apart the engine.

But Brett replaced taht bad boy for me and now it's holding fine.

I had this same problem, here is a post I started a while ago, it contains my solution + a few other peoples ideas

https://www.mopedarmy.com/forums/discuss/6/4319/4319/

yeah, im beginning to think that is my problem. i dont mind sounding like a chain saw lol, but i'd like to fix it, any ideas?

brandon

lol thanks dan im on the link now, too bad you beat me posting my answer

brandon

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account