NEED HELP QUICK. tomos engine assembly

I have a 95 a5 engine i'm rebuilding, and i'm putting the crank back in, and i saw in a diagram that there were some washers between the crank and crank bearing, I'm woundering if there supposed to be on each side, or if there just adjusters, or what, and how you tell if you need them, I can only find one at the time, so i'm woundering if there has to be two or what. ANYONE please I need to get this together

Re: NEED HELP QUICK. tomos engine assembly

John Getsch /

COME ON someone?!?!?!?!

Leppy The Lepracaun /

damn wish i could help u. dunno what happend to moped army. used to get lots of help info. maybe we should jus get cars. lol

i'll take a wild guess at it.

The crankshaft must have a small amount of side play. If there is zero-clearance, oil cannot get into that area. So, shims are added or subtracted as needed. Side-to-Side clearance can't be too tight or too loose.

The way to do this is to measure clearance before disassembling the engine. That way, during assembly, you know whether you need to add or subtract shim thicknesses to end up with the correct clearance specifications.

So, if i grok your question, there is no answer to how many washers are needed, cause it depends..

i think theres two very thin shims there, i don't know what they do but they are important

what do you mean "each side"?

John Getsch /

do i just put one on each side?

bump

NO there is only 1 shim it is on the clutch side, the magneto side of the crank has no shim. It is very very thin.

Then after assembling the two halves, you have a shim behind the clutch, 1 shim in front of the drive gear or middle gear (in front on top of the nut), then two shims on the far left starter gear shaft (thick one in back, skinny one in front) once again on top of it, don't forget the shim behind the starter gear as well it goes behind the collar gear thingy.

I've never taken apart a tomos motor that had shims between the crank and the crank bearings. It might be that they are listed so they could be added to a worn motor that had excessive clearances. The manual lists them in 3 sizes. 0.10, 0.15, and 0.20mm.

ive taken apart 3, all three had the shim on the clutch side of the crank.

weird...i dont remeber there being a shim there, in my years of this.....and i dont remember there being one when i took it apart....but it only makes sense that there was one,because with the halves tightened down,the crank doesnt spin free like it should......what should i do? find a washer that is .15 thick?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account