fast fa50

Kevin Laitala /

i finnaly got my suzuki fa50 running right. well not quite...it doesn't idle, so you have to keep moving, but when it goes it realy goes! i think now that the biggest problem was that it had just sat for too long. it just took some detective work and alot of cleaning and some persistance. it had no trouble at all getting up to 35mph on the dirt road by my house. it wanted to keep going faster, but with the potholes, wobbly back wheel and the absence of footpegs, i decided not to push it. i cant wait to get it out and see how fast it will top out at. i need to make a high-flow air filter for it though. i have a stock air filter, but when it's on i can only get going about 15mph.

1092430298_dscf0500.jpg

Re: fast fa50

that thing looks like its all stock.. If so, i don't see why the stock air intake would cause any problems.

Kevin Laitala /

less air flow=less performance. always.

Your air filter may be the reason it won't idle correctly. I just had this on my project ped. Take a couple of fingers and block off part of the air intake on the carb, it should idle down. I had a combination of a rusty, sticking throttle cable and testing with no air box. All is well with the stock filter and a new cable,$12 and $5.50 for the element at local dealer.

I agree you will get better performance with a less restrictive filter but idle issue may be a bad trade off.

Do you think that a healthy, totally stock FA50 is limited to 15mph like yours is? Or are you saying that your air filter is dirty.

Kevin Laitala /

yeah, the air filter was pretty dirty, im sure it was the original, so it was probably like 22 years old. unfortunatly my moped isn't really healthy. one of the people that had it before me didnt know it was a two-cycle (didnt know the difference between 2 and 4 anyway) . you could probably guess all the harm that would cause.

CAUTION!!!!! if you use a high-flo filter on your fa-50 - yes you will go faster- but you are also LEANING the engine WAYYYYY! out- and it will overheat and suffer a CATASTROPIC BREAKDOWN- got one- i melted the head........thankfully was reborable....

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account