Re: Magnum gas cap leak...help!

Joe Woods /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

A little bit of rust falling is no big deal. Screens and filters take care of that.

Assuming it's rusty inside, the rust inside the cap _can't_ get out. And thats the problem because rust clogs the cap's vent. Air has to be allowed into the tank to replace gasoline or fuel flow will stop.

i had an annoying performance problem.. like the bike was running out of fuel.. All of a sudden it would slow down for a moment and then, just as suddenly, everything was OK.. this went on for a week.

i traced the problem to the gas cap.. Understand that i had already very carefully cleaned the cap, run acetone through it and poked wire in the vent holes and blown it out with compressed air and all that.. What i didnt know was that the cap vent kept getting clogged up due to the internal rust.

The clogged vent produced a vacuum in the tank and fuel flow slowed to a trickle.

After opening and sandblasting the inside of my cap, the bike never had that problem again. Fuel now flows from the tank's hose in a steady thick stream.

btw, for a rubber gasket add-on as suggested in the previous message, use a piece of tire inner tube.. maybe two.. Whatever it takes to get a snug fit.

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account