Carn Cleaning & Fuel Line Replacement on FA50

Scott Jorgenson /

I own a 1983 Suzuki FA50. Since I don't have any experience fixing something like this I have to risk asking you some basic questions.

1. To replace the fuel lines I realize that you have to take the tank off the vehicle. That should be fine. Do I have to drain the tank first and if so how do you do that? Simple question.

2. I have read the comments about cleaning carburators using bottled air or an air compressor or carb cleaner from Auto Zone. When using carb cleaner does the carburator need to be removed or is it poured into the gas tank and the mixture somehow does the cleaning?

Thanks

Re: Carn Cleaning & Fuel Line Replacement on F

Take that little thing off and soak it in a coffee can with about 4" of lacquer thinner. It's cheaper than carb cleaner and is just the same. But, you really need to disassemble the whole thing and go at each and every little hole, both in the body of the carb and the jets that unscrew.

You can get a cheap siphon line (bulb pump) and get most of the gas out that way. Then take off the metal crosspiece under the seat, lift up the plastic battery carrier/panel and coax the gas tank up and out as far as you can. You should be able to reach the two fuel lines at the bottom front of the tank. Release the pinch style hose clamps, Make a note of which hose goes where (color coded stripe) Then pull off the hoses and quickly plug the nipples with you fingers until you get the tank free of the frame. Let the rest of the gas drain into whatever you have to collect the gas. Then clean it out good. You can use air there, too. That's how I would do it. Now, it's somebody else's turn.

I think we should just close this thread now.

You aren't going to get any advice better than what Bob just said(wrote?).

Good luck to you!

Carn Cleaning & Fuel Line Replacement on FA50

Scott Jorgenson /

Thanks Bob. Your advice was exactly what I was looking for. I appreciate it.

Scott

Once in awhile I get it right. You are welcome.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account