1982 Honda Express???

I am thinking of buying a moped but haven't much repair know-how. I'd like to learn and don't mind buying a SLIGHTLY problematic project bike.

Can anybody offer an opinion as to what might be wrong with this moped, how fatal it is and what it might cost to repair or optimize?

In their words:

1982 Honda Express 49cc:

"It has an oil injection system that was disconnected so the gas an oil are just mixed when added. The moped does run and go needs maby carbs cleaned not a lot of power up hill. You can see in one of the photos the smoke out of exhaust to show it running... ...starts ,run, goes, lights work, blinkers work ..This is a used vehicle with regular wear and tear... "

They said it hits maybe 22 mph tops.

Re: 1982 Honda Express???

Jude Jude /
jnkw OP

ALSO: No pedals, kick-start.

Aaron Roemer /

I too have one of these. I am getting it going as I speak. Try this...

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=52

(Shop manual)

Leon Swarmer /

James,

Nothing fatal in that description. My 81 tops out at 28 mph.

don't know NY laws though. Do you need pedals to be a mopedder.

If those are exact words the seller is a bit confused. Only one carb on the express. it sounds like carb/fuel system and exhaust system cleaning is needed.

doesn't sound very bad to me. "All lights" is a plus if you need to have it inspected.

Leon

Jude Jude /
jnkw OP

Thanks to both of you for the help.

Jude Jude /
jnkw OP

That's an article mopedarmy could use... a definitive listing of state laws.

I'm in Maine right now, as is the bike...was and will be in NYC come January, sooner than that, Florida. If I keep the same bike, I may be fucked...

Leon Swarmer /

Are any of those states a permanent address?

If so run it through those laws.

If not find, the easiest one and title/register. whatever it there

there was a listing somewhere, but they do tend to change a bit.

Leon

"don’t know NY laws though. Do you need pedals to be a mopedder."

No regulation in NY about pedals.

Top speed is the only criterion.

Leon Swarmer /

That much blue smoke means their premix is too rich on oil

That will slow down speed and foul the plug sooner.

Jude Jude /
jnkw OP

I talked to the owner and he indeed admitted that the mix was heavy on the oil. He also said the bike has a hell of a time climbing hills.

If I do make the purchase, I wonder if it would be wisest to reattach the original configuration of the oil injection system?

Gonna check it out in person later today.

Yeah,....i believe that bike has an adjustable oiol injection system. You can give it more power by going to 50cc.nl, or mopedwarehouse.com to purchase a cylinder upgrade kit and an exhaust (bi-turbo,proma, etc....) and it will definately get the power that you need for the hill climbing and such. Just did that with my 78 express nc50. I love it. In my bike, though, the oil injector is not adjustable, so i had to unhook it and just mix my gas at 25:1. oh, also had to get a bigger jet for the carb.

later Filley

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account