80's Batavus Starflite...HELP!!

I have a 1980's (not sure exactly what year) Batavus Starflite moped. I can get it to start and run, after a good carb cleaning and new gas. It will idle (somewhat), but idles high, even with the idle adjust screw on the carb is adjusted. The idle adjust screw does not affect idle until it is shut off and restarted, and even then gives an erratic and unpredictable change. I have pulled the entire carb assembly and cleaned it several times and then reinstalled it, each time yielding the above results. Sometimes when it is taken off the kickstand and set on the ground, the engine stalls when the tire touches the pavement. It will not run with much resistance (i.e. a rider or a hill), but rather will stall out and die. When it does run for a while on a flat stretch, the engine will go fine to about 20-25 mph. and die off after about 10-15 secs. of maintaining any speed at all, or if an incline of any kind is hit (my driveway has a hill). I have replaced the gas line, petcock (parts bin from local shop) , spark plug (correct brand and gapping.), had the tank cleaned, etched, and sealed with KREEM, had a new gas cap (I got some KREEM sealer on the seal of the old one, preventing proper venting). The moped was owned by a neighbor of mine, and before he moved out of his parents' house, he let it sit for about 2 years. It used to run 35 mph, no problem, and was in that condition when parked. I have had a 1993 tomos bullet TT and a 1977 columbia Commuter previously and these previously mentioned repairs/tune up methods on my prior mopeds and they both ran like a dream despite poor condition when I got them. I am wondering if it is possible that I have a timing or a clutch problem, or if possibly the fuel inlet piece on the carburetor is misaligned with the screw that holds it to the carb? The screw that holds the fuel inlet (piece that the fuel line attaches to on top of carb) has a hole through the middle of it and im wondering if that hole has to be aligned with the holes on the inlet valve once the assembly is tightened and assembled on top of the carb? Could the carb have an air leak or have the float upside down? Could the Carb be worn out altogether? Anyone who can help, I would appreciate it IMMENSELY

Re: 80's Batavus Starflite...HELP!!

Float should point up with the sharp end

Inside banjo screw there is a small metal filter, clean it if there is one. Take out the reed valve (two screws) and inspect it, blow air with your mouth it should go freely, sucking the air should not be possible. I have NOS reed valve if you need.

High idle points to leak, maybe intake or possible crank seals.

Take of flywheel and check for oil residue on outside the seal.

Z

Ben Van Zoest /

U did not mention, is the main jet is't clean? It has to be something simple because it ran good before. I find that a re- occurring problem. Buy a can off compressed air like in a photo shop it has a spray reed it does wonders...

Nick Saettel /

OK...I appreciate the all the help, thanks. Here is an update: I have it running strong and smooth, however am unable to take it on a full test run, as both tires are flat and need new innertubes. The reed valve was fine and the float was properly installed afterall. I checked the jet and it, too, was just fine and clean. I did find that I had lost the fuel filter at some point (no biggie--atleast I dont think). I found that the problem (which also caused the carb to leak gas after the engine was run) was that the tiny vent hole ontop of the float chamber was clogged, which seemed to esentially cause a vacuum inside the carb--which limited its functionality. I am still having the idle adjusting problem-- the idle adjustment screw does almost nothing as far as changing the idle!!! I still can not figure this out!!! I am wondering if it could be clutch-adjustment related? I rode the moped slow in the grass, and under full throttle, it seems to want to engage and disengage the clutch until you get decent momentum going (It also does this on hills) It doesnt seem to have any torque or low end grunt and the clutch (atleast I think it is the clutch)seems reluctant to disengage sometimes after running....for example, if you go to pedal it the next time, it automatically engages to start without pulling the starter handle on the left handlebar. If these are taken care of, she should be back to old glory, so any help will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!!!!!! THANKS!!!!

Nick Saettel /

OK...the moped is a 1980...i checked and am now sure of that. The idle now seems closer to normal, but clutch is acting goofy...could this affect adjusting the idle? Do you have any good ideas on why the screw isnt adjusting the idle very much and what I can do to resolve this? Also, if the clutch needs adjusting, can it be done with normal tools (i.e. screwdrivers, pliars, wrenches, pliars, etc.---no job specific tools)? Also, my starflite has 3380 miles, do you happen to know the life of one of these clutches or the maintenance and adjustment intervals?? Thanks for ANY help you can give

Your clutch is very easy to diassemble, no special tools needed. There is a round spring inside with metal balls in it- put some lubricant -oil on this spring, just a tiny amount, that maybe is what causing your clutch to " stick"

You need to ride this thing, clutch may improve if the ped was sitting. So get the tubes and ride.

The only thing I can think of with not working adjusting screw is that slide is to high (to tight)and not getting to the srew alltogether.

Clutch is affecting the idle, there is no doubt.

If its dies you have to started from the stand.

you started off saying

"I have pulled the entire carb assembly and cleaned it several times and then reinstalled it, each time yielding the above results."

and now you said

"I found that the problem (which also caused the carb to leak gas after the engine was run) was that the tiny vent hole ontop of the float chamber was clogged, which seemed to esentially cause a vacuum inside"

i'm gonna be kind here and just suggest you clean the carb again.. Cleaning a carb and attempting to clean a carb are two different things..

As far as clutch adjustments, it's pretty difficult (bordering on impossible) to adjust the clutch before the carb and engine RPM is under control..

Nick Saettel /

Yes...i know it was my own overlooking before, but believe me, i went over it with a fine-toothed comb this time and their is nothing clogging anything in that carb...i even ran compressed air through all openings, holes, screens (fuel filter), jet, and banjo screw...perfect airflow through all (yes, even the float chamber vent--that I overlooked originally!). I am not a novice, and have rebuilt a '77 Columbia Commuter and a '91 Tomos (Bullet) TT (as well as various mini bikes including a 1970 Honda MiniTrail 70) that were very poor when I purchased them, but this Bat has really got me baffled. I did notice that the exhaust was pulled apart at one time and had the baffles removed. Could this contribute to my woes? The idle adjustment screw still does not affect idle significantly...any ideas???

Nick Saettel /

By the slide, I assume you mean the throttle slide? If it is too tight, and wouldn't get to the idle adjust screw, it would idle fairly normal? Because right now, the idle sounds about where it should be, but not quite, because if I Give it hard throttle and let off, it dies occasionally. Is there any way to measure the slide position or eyeball it to make sure it is where it needs to be? Also, when reinstalling the throttle slide into the carb, I am not sure where the idle screw was set. Does it need to be in a certain spot during the installation? Sorry for all the amateur sounding dumb questions, but this really has me puzzled and this is my first Bat. Thanks again.

ok.. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume the carb is now in perfect working order :)

If that mufler had been cut up and baffles removed, i would not expect that to be related to the idle problem unless the exhaust was now severly restricted for some reason.

However it would alert me to the possibility that the previous owner was searching for something.. probably more speed. Or he was just some kid who needed more volume to impress his girlfriend.

I'd look and see what other sorts of things he may have done. I wouldn't assume that anything about the bike was still totally 'stock'. He may have dicked with the intake,exhaust or transfer ports, or tried to bore that carb out to a larger size.. who knows what .. might have altered the slide cutaway.. I wouldn't know what belongs on that bike, but is the carb original equipment?

Along with a host of other possibilities, these things could certainly affect fuel mix and metering..

Nick Saettel /

The carb appears to be OEM as far as I can tell, and is even the correct model with the correct jet (56#). Batavus came with 3 versions of the same basic carb, with differences in bore, jetting, etc, which results in the different model numbers. I measured the bore with my dial caliper and it was right on where it should be. I agree with your suspicions about what else could've been dicked around with, but all looks well other than the exhaust. I'm not sure as to why in the heck the previous owner hacked up the exhaust, but as far as I can tell, all else seems stock, according to an exploded drawing of the Laura M48 engine diagram I looked at and various service diagrams I have been able to dig up on the internet. Luckily, it appears that the amatuer hack job on the exhaust was executed by a true amatuer who was too scared to touch anything else on the bike (Thank God!) I still can't get the idle adjust screw to make much of a change in the idle and am baffled....any help greatly appreciated.

i guess this is a slide carburetor. If so, the idle speed screw is tapered. The tapered point physically pushes the slide upwards, and so opens the bore slightly, increasing the idle speed.

look into the bore. The slide should be at the bottom of the bore.

Is the slide being moved up and down by adjustments to the idle speed screw? If it is, something else, like a clogged jet or pathway is interfering with fuel delivery.

If the slide doesn't move, then the slide or it's return spring or the throttle cable may be hung up..

all i can suggest is that you keep looking.. there's nothing magical about a carb.. there are pathways for fuel and air and a

couple of moving parts.

Nick Saettel /

Ill check that out later tonight or tomorrow...I have a suspicion that it is probably a bound up throttle cable or return spring, as you suggested. Now that I understand how the taper on the idle adjust screw works, it makes alot more concrete sense the problem lies in the fact that the screw and the throttle slide arent touching....thanks for your help.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account