Leak with 78 Honda Express

I have a 1978 Honda Express that had been running great for a while, almost always started on first try. I recently changed the transmission oil and it still ran great after that. Then I was trying to install an inline fuel filter and ended up messing up my petcock so I had a gas leak problem but I replaced the petcock and it was running fine and no longer leaking gas.

However recently it just started leaking oil onto the garage floor. I have no idea where this leak is or could be coming from. I premix my gas because I am unsure of the state of my oil injector so this cannot be the from the fuel/oil tank. Maybe this is from the transmission?? I have no clue...any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Leak with 78 Honda Express

Jonas Quimby /

I had my Express begin leaking oil from the breather tube coming out the back of the tranny. I am not sure exactly why it did this, but I think it had something to do with the fact that at the time I had a mix of a too thick oil and the right oil in the tranny. After pulling it apart and cleaning it out it stopped.

After looking at it again I guess it looks like it could be the oil/gas mix and it normally comes out somewhere below the carb/head. It may be coming out the overflow tube but I don't understand why my carb would be have an overflow problem....

Jonas Quimby /

I dont mean the carb overflow, I mean the transmission overflow. Look on the back side of the tranny (the side that faces the wheel. There's a plastic nipple with a rubber hose attached to it. That is the transmision breather and overflow opening.

Leon Swarmer /

if it is just oil its a tranny problme.

if it is the mix you could easily have a valve in the carb that isn't seating properly. or a float that won't let it seat right.

Leon

Jonas Quimby /

Cept the Express is oil injected.

Oil never enter the carb.

I already said though that I premix that gas, so the oil would be entering the carb. Also, I mentioned after your comment that what is leaking appears to be gas/oil mixture so that is why I mentioned the carb overflow...

Jonas Quimby /

ahh, I'm not very good at putting details together early in the morning and such.

Anyway, I have had my bike begin to leak many times in the past.

The most common problems are that the passage the float needle seals is too dirty for a good seal, the needle itsself is worn out or that the float has sprung a leak and wont float.

If this is the case then gas will be leaking out the overflow tube that runs down the front of the engine

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account