Bing Carb Leak

Michael Nesson /

I have a 1979 Sparta Sport with a Sachs engine. The ped runs great and has lots of power. The carb leaks at the float chamber. It looks like I need a gasket for this area. I took the carb apart and there wasn't one. Can I use the product "Form a Gasket " from a auto parts store? Any ideas or suggestions....

Re: Bing Carb Leak

i used that stuff for a dellorto, it worked fine

Jason Luther /

i actually used a piece of a neoprene kneeling pad and that worked fine. whatever you use (besides the proper gasket) make sure it doesnt hang into the inside of the float bowl and interfear with the floats operation. just buy a sheet of rubgberized gasket material and youll have enough for any gasket youll have to make for the rest of your life. (but in the future we wont need gaskets)-jason

Michael Nesson /

Thanks for the information! Will give it a try today, if the weather holds out!

just get a bowl gasket.they are fairly cheap. the form a gasket stuff will crumble and get sucked into the carb, causing more problems then you need.

Jason Luther /

if you have to mail order one they arent cheap. and then theres the whole 'while im at it' thing, pretty soon the $2 gasket turns into a $50 order.

if your float is leaking maybe it's getting stuck?

Michael Nesson /

I ended up ording a gasket from MWH. Along with other parts....expecting them on Friday. Of course...while I was at it, I ordered many other parts to have on hand for maintaince. Oh well....this is a great hobby!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account