cleaning out the fuel tank

whats the best way to clean out the gas tank. i dont want to use water because i am afraid it will rust it out

Re: cleaning out the fuel tank

FIll it with gas, shake it around alot n pour the contents out quickly, repeat as needed

thats expensive

Its worth it and most tanks dont hold very much and you only need to put in like a third of a tank

cleaning out the fuel tank

That will work, or you can just use water and then use a hair dryer or something to get it dry quickly. If it has rust inside, just flushing it will not solve the problem, because it will eventually rust some more.

If you go to a local motorcycle shop you can find a thick milky substance they use to coat the inside of the tank to prevent further rusting, i forget what it's called but it has always worked for me, just follow the instructions carefully.

kreem

i always use water on a rusty tank. i mean heck it's already rusted. there are many gas tank sealants available at your local hardware store, however i never use them. i just get all the rust out and keep the tank full.

if you can remove the tank, fill with a LITTLE gas, some degreaser or whatever you want to dump in the tank

add some deck screws( or anything like that) dump like 50-60 screws in the tank, and shake the shit out of it and rinse

works good, i've gone as far as to buy an old rotisserie for a BBQ grill (the ones with the little motors) and make some kind of jig to hold the tank and just let her spin, and spin

comes out shinny new

i do allot of work on old motorcycles so the tank being removed is never an issue.

other than that you can use acid, baking soda and H2O

but be careful

this is hard to do if you have a built in tank like me

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account