four stroking

I have a 95 targa lx and it four storkes really bad. How can I stop it. Is it bad on the moped?

Re: four stroking

Ben Van Zoest /

Do U hav a user manual? Seems Ur timing is off!

Gregory Mcintire /

Four stroking is not caused by timing. It is caused by the fuel/air mixture being too rich, i.e. too much fuel in the charge.

I am not familiar with the Targa so I can't give very specific advice. You don't mention if this is something that just started or not. That would help immensely in trouble shooting. An overly rich mixture is not likely to do any harm other than carboning up the exhaust unnecessarily and fouling the plug prematurely.

A plugged air filter (if it has one) is the first suspect. A malfunction of the float and/or float valve needle is suspect. Too large of a main jet would do it, but that would not change. If the jet used to be correct, it still should be correct. A choke mechanism that is not 'opening' fully is suspect. An improperly assembled carburetor or wrong components in the carb would also cause the problem.

Also, open up the carb and give it a good clean w/ carb cleaner. Mine was 4-stroking down small hills because of a dirty filter in the carb.

Gregory Mcintire /

I am starting to wonder if everybody knows what the term "four stroking" means. A dirty fuel filter in the carb can cause a lean condition, not a rich condition. Four stroking is a rich condition, i.e. too much gasoline in the mixture.

"Four stroking" makes a sound as if the plug is only firing on every other power stroke of the piston instead of every power stroke, as a 2-stroke-cycle motor should.

Ben Van Zoest /

Maybe useful, from reading an opinion on an highly technical overseas webside. The long needle mounted within the slide and hanging in the brass tube wears, it and the tube, because of vibration. This was found on high mileage engines causing a richer mixture. For what's worth it something to think about!

I am aware of that but because it was dirty, it was causing my engine to run lean and rich since the fuel flow was obsructed. Since I was running a richer jet because of this, sometimes the fuel flowed past the debri w/ little resistance causing me to 4-stroke.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account