Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt run

C. Smitt /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Yes!!!!!!!!

she runs!!!!!!!!

I am so stoked. Thanks for you help.

Heres what I did.

Took out the tank and rinsed/shook it out for like an hour.

Took out the petcock and cleaned it with a piece of guitar string and brake cleaner (it was a Thick A string in case anybody cares).

Took apart the carb and cleaned it out with brake cleaner(love that stuff). it wasnt too dirty, it was mainly just clogged up at the fuel inlet with the same grey clay-like crust as the petcock.

Did a Prelim cleanup on the whole bike.

Stayed up all night last night doing all this, then rode around for awhile.

I did break something though. The handle for accelerating was slipping where its mounted to the handlebars, so when you tryed to turn the accelerator, it would just turn the whole handle-NO GO.And since my kill switch is right there, I was accidentally cutting the ped off. So I looked at it and saw that the previous owner had put electrical tape around the handlebar and then retightened the brake/accel handle down around the tape. So I figure its time for some new tape. So Basically as I was trying to put the handle around the tape, I had to sort of pry open the handle a bit where the screw that holds it on goes through. and A peice broke off. so I drilled a hole through the remaining handle and through the bars, and put a bolt through it. works better thatn electrical tape or any other BS quick fix could ever do. but i do want to at least have a replacement JIC. '77 pinto 2.0 hp. If anybody has that handle I want it.

As far as an air filter, do most peds have one? This one doesnt. It just had what looked like a dryer duct(but smaller in diameter)inside the intake tube/box/thing.

I still want an inline fuel filter, cause I can see the rusty bits falling through my fuel line into me carb. Hopefully some lawnmower spot or something will have a kit....but if anybody here knows please let me know.

Thanks again for all your help, and expect to see alot more of me in the coming days, weeks, etc. Soory if this post is a little loopy, Ive been up all night and its noon.

Chill...

Oh yeah on these bikes if the low tail bulb is out will it make the high bulb stay on?

This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  just got my first moped...but it doesnt runTopic by: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/06/04 06:22AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Robert Fosdick Robert Fosdick 08/06/04 07:08AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/06/04 08:11AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Robert Fosdick Robert Fosdick 08/06/04 08:28AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Robert Fosdick Robert Fosdick 08/06/04 09:04AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/07/04 02:08PM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Ray West Ray West 08/07/04 03:56PM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/07/04 09:37PM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Ray West Ray West 08/07/04 10:11PM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/07/04 11:05PM
  Re:tailightRe: Leon Swarmer Leon Swarmer 08/07/04 11:11PM
  Re:tailightRe: Ray West Ray West 08/08/04 01:20AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Leon Swarmer Leon Swarmer 08/08/04 01:26AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/08/04 01:33AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Ray West Ray West 08/08/04 01:48AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Keith Hannah Keith Hannah 08/08/04 01:52AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/09/04 02:33AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Ray West Ray West 08/09/04 02:41AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Robert Fosdick Robert Fosdick 08/09/04 09:34AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/09/04 11:50AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Brian F Brian F 08/09/04 01:53PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account