just got my first moped...but it doesnt run

C. Smitt /
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.

Hello

I just got an old JC Penney pinto 2.0 hp moped, and I have had no success in starting it. I think it is a fuel delivery problem. I took out the petcock (since no gas would come out in any position). I disassembled it, cleaned it as best I could till air would blow through all the holes, then reinstalled it, but to no avail. I think that I didnt clean the petcock sufficiently, and the fuel tank seems to be extremely rusty inside. I drained the gas in the course of removing the petcock, and it was all brown and full of rusty bits. Also, What I cleaned out of the petcock was like a gray clay like substance, which had clogged every hole. I dont think this thing has been run in ten years, but I think it might if I could get the gas down into the carb. I have pretty much adhered to the manufacturers recommendations for starting (depress the choke, prime, etc.) A little gas came out after I reinstalled the petcock, but shouldn't it dump out? or at least fill the fuel line up?

Do these things have a battery? Do they use engine oil other that what you mix with the gas? I checked the trans fluid, and plan to change it if I can ever get the bike started.

another that I think its not getting any gas is because it doesn't make any smoke when you turn it over, leading me to believe the cylinder is dry. Is this assumption correct?

Please advise me on what steps to take to get this thing running and road worthy. Mainly I want to see that its gonna run, and then start fixing everything else up. Its no show piece, but it just might be cheap enough for me to actually fix up(vs. a car). anyway..... Please help.

Sorry if this is kids stuff to you guys; Ive been working on cars for awhile, but dont really know shit about bikes, except what can be carried over. I do have good common sense and can fix just about anything, but please, if there are things I should know please tell me cause I dont want to make things worse.

Two more things..

1. when I took out the petcock it has a little tube sticking up out of it. what is this for? It seemed to be plugged with a small bit of plastic intentionally. why could this be. The little plug of course fell out and got lost. should i replace it?

also, what kind of oil do you guys recommend?

I plan to clean(rinse) out the tank and petcock(again) tomorrow, no, on second though it wont do shit until I find out more, so I hope some body can help me out.

Sorry for the long first post and thank you for reading this far.

PEACE

oh yeah what kind of in line fuel filter should I get? and where?

1091784167_corsa_corners.jpg
This single post is part of a larger thread. Start from the top or view this post in context.
Subject Written By Posted
  just got my first moped...but it doesnt runTopic by: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/06/04 06:22AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Robert Fosdick Robert Fosdick 08/06/04 07:08AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/06/04 08:11AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Robert Fosdick Robert Fosdick 08/06/04 08:28AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Robert Fosdick Robert Fosdick 08/06/04 09:04AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/07/04 02:08PM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Ray West Ray West 08/07/04 03:56PM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/07/04 09:37PM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Ray West Ray West 08/07/04 10:11PM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/07/04 11:05PM
  Re:tailightRe: Leon Swarmer Leon Swarmer 08/07/04 11:11PM
  Re:tailightRe: Ray West Ray West 08/08/04 01:20AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Leon Swarmer Leon Swarmer 08/08/04 01:26AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/08/04 01:33AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Ray West Ray West 08/08/04 01:48AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Keith Hannah Keith Hannah 08/08/04 01:52AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/09/04 02:33AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Ray West Ray West 08/09/04 02:41AM
  Re:tailight thanksRe: Robert Fosdick Robert Fosdick 08/09/04 09:34AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: C. Smitt C. Smitt 08/09/04 11:50AM
  Re: just got my first moped...but it doesnt runRe: Brian F Brian F 08/09/04 01:53PM

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account