Vespa Grande 79 wiring etc. NEED HELP!!!

I just got a 79 vespa grande and it dosent work at all, and i have no documentation to go with it. there are some probly silly yet important questions i have.

1) does this model use a battery? or does the motor some how generate its own electriciy for lights/spark plugs etc.

If it does use a battery, what kind and where can i find one?

2) All of my wiring is an incredible mess. I cant even tell if there are any battery connections. (if there is a battery). Could someone please explain or give me a wiring diagram?

3) The drive belt is missing on my moped. Where can i find a moped belt? I also have heard tractor belts can be a good substitute where can I find one and what size do i need?

ANY INFORMATION IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!

Thanks, Neil

Re: Vespa Grande 79 wiring etc. NEED HELP!!!

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=51

here's a grande manual.. it should give you something to start with until you find more info.. and i see something about a battery and wiring diagrams..

First your Grande doesn't need a battery to start or run. All power is generated by a magneto when you pedal. Some model Grandes (Deluxe model) had factory turn signals.

There were a couple different models so we first need to determine which model you have in order to provide the proper wiring diagram. Go to this link and read a bit about the Grande and determine which model you have. http://vespasupershop.com/moped.html

Start by checking to see if you have spark. A few things to check is to make sure you have a good dual filament Tail/Brake light bulb. If the brake light is burned out the moped's engine will die each time you apply the brake levers.

Some models had a "Start or Run" switch on the right handle bar and also a "Ignition/Headlight" switch on top of the tear drop shape head light. The switch looks like a headlight switch but it serves a dual purpose. In the 11 o clock position it is OFF, 12 o clock is ignition only ON and 1 o clock is ignition and Head light ON.

Indentify your bike and I'll try to get you the correct matching wiring diagram.

Neil Monday /

My moped has 2 switches on it. One for the lights (on/off), and one for the engine (run/off). There are no turn signals on this model.

There are 2 wires coming out of the engine, green and black, are these the wires for the "magneto"?

Thanks, Neil

Sounds like someone rewired it. The wires coming out of the engine should be Violet and Blue.

See attached wiring diagram

1091814097_grande_no_turn_sig.jpg
« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account