How to start a 78 Puch Maxi, help needed.

Hello, I’m new to mopeds. (I’ve always had kick start bikes) This may be a dumb question but, can anyone tell me the proper way to start a 1978 Puch Maxi ? Can it be started on the center stand, or is it best to peddle it on the ground? And how fast should you have to peddle. Thanks

Re: How to start a 78 Puch Maxi, help needed.

Jason Luther /

either way works fine. i usually just peddle start mine since it starts easy. if you stand start it just hit the rear break before you set it down so the wheel isnt spinning and is slams to a stop.-jason

Ben Van Zoest /

The guy I got a Maxi from started w/ the kickstand down, one of it limit lugs had broken off, I had to buy a new kickstand 30$ + SH your call. When engine is warmed up on re-start I just push off with one foot and pop off she goes....

I stand on the left side of the bike, open the throttle, squeeze the starter clutch lever and kick the pedal two or three times

I got it started, the clutch cable was out of adjustment. It's running great now. Thanks everyone for your help.

Ben Van Zoest /

Shame on me not thinking about that dang cable...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account