Motobecane V50 Runs But Won't Idle

Keith Twombley /

I just picked up a sweet 1979 Motobecane V50 with only 1800 miles at a flea market this weekend for $75. I added fresh gas and she started right up and runs great but wont idle once I stop at a stop sign or whatever. I have to keep restarting it every time I stop. Any suggestions?

Re: Motobecane V50 Runs But Won't Idle

is something preventing you from adjusting the idle?

Keith Twombley /

Is that done view the spring loaded screw on the carb or the adjustment screw on the throttle cable near the throttle grip? I tried messing with the carb screw and it seemed to help but didn't solve the problem entirely.

spring loaded screw

Another possibility is the vent hole in your gas cap. If this becomes clogged, the bike doesn't receive proper fuel flow at low throttle. Try blowing through the little hole, or running with your gas cap off and see if that helps.

Carl Hopkins /

Check if your exhaust port and muffler aren't clogged up with carbon deposits. I've seen mopeds that would only run flat out and lacked power because there was only a tiny hole left clear inside the exhaust port for the engine to breathe through. The rest was baked on crud. You could also check that the air cleaner element isn't clogged up and if there is a reliable spark at idle speed.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account