Suzuki FA 50 Carb?? Run problem

Greetings,

I am new to the forum and new to a 86 FA50 I picked up as a project with my boys. I have cleaned out the carb with air and Chem-tool cleaner. It now will start most of the time and run from 1 second to several minutes depending on who knows what! My compression is about 75 PSI after 4-5 kicks. I have read the forum about the nipple on the side by the mix adj screws. I had to plug mine with a short piece of hose with a screw in it as fuel would run out of it. Also does the hose on top of the shut off valve go to the right side of the carb near the choke cable. This bike was missing the hose. Any help will be great.

Thanks

Re: Suzuki FA 50 Carb?? Run problem

my freind had a similar problem and it ended up being electrical

The top hose on the fuel petcock is a vacuum line to operate the fuel pump diaphragm. It should go into a nipple on the choke side of the carb. I don't think you should plug that hose coming down from the left side of the carb. It is a vent. What position do you have the fuel petcock in? If it is horizontal for more than a minute, gas will overflow onto the ground. It is meant to be a float bowl primer. Once the float bowl is full of gas, you need to put it in the "on"position. The vacuum of the engine will then pump fuel as the engine is running. Hope I didn't get off the subject.

Very helpfull info guys. I did have the petcock in the horiz position. I thought that was a reserve (low fuel) setting. Also I do not have a battery in it. When it starts and runs the lheadlight is on from the Alt running. Do I need a battery to make it run? Also is it 6 or 12 Volts?

Battery is a good idea and only should cost about $9 form Suzuki or if you are lucky you might find one at Walmart, etc. 6Volts

umm the battery runs everything but whats interesting the rpms of the engine will run the head light with out a battery ... my battery was about 15 dollars and the fa50 also has a generator and re-charges the battery - try bikebandit.com - its a good site

I keep forgetting that my dealer gives me a discount. Sorry for the low figure.

Jeremy Smoot /

If the engine only has 75 PSI of compression, the piston rings might be stuck. In most cases, you need at least 100 PSI of compression for an engine to run.

If the gas runs out of the overflow, the needle in the carb isn't shutting the gas off when the float bowl is full. It might just need cleaned, or maybe a new needle and/or seat.

Jeremy

Thanks for all the great info. My 2 kids a fast becoming pre-teen mechanic whiz's. The bike now runs fairly well. It runs good in the mid range of RPM's. Still no battery but the lights work and it will run for 20-30 min easy.

New problem I am working on is getting it to idle down. I have backed the screw all the way out so I guess the valve? at the end of the throttle cable is not seating down far enough?? It is a neat little scooter.

You should be able to further adjust the needle down by turning the cable adjusting knobs either at the lever end or at the carb or both.

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account