Tomos running rough

Michael Romano /

Well I have a 1985 tomos targa lx with the 70cc airsal kit as well as well as new flywheel, crank shaft well every thing is new except the clutches even the paint... Well ever since i put the kit on about 6months it hasnt idled right.. I can start it up cold and it will idle really high and then after about 20 seconds it will shut off if i dont give it gas and then if i get going and when it gets ready to go in to second gear it will go into it but it will lose a few mph well i have checked the carb and its got plenty of gas..actually to much cuz it spits gas out the air cleaner.. I didnt know if i might needed a new jet or what... also do i need to run a different oil/gas ratio than before... thx Michael

Re: Tomos running rough

Chris Zaleski /

what size jet u have? usually a 56 or 58 will do it

Michael Romano /

Well i took it apart and looked and im only running a 45 so if anyone knows a good site to get a kit of different jets let me know by the way the carb is the amal 17mm

dude I have a '95 traga lx and mine does the exact thing and I'v checked and cleaned everything twice and it still does it I have no idea what is wrong with it. But it does have 28,587 miles so that might be part of it.

Michael, maybe your moped is Four Stroking?

Definition:

"Four stroking" means your air to fuel ratio is too rich.

Four stroking is this >>.. when you near top speed the engine goes from a smooth high pitched ziiiiiiiiinnnggggg tone… to a lower pitch rougher tone… and the engine acts like it is choking, like it would like to go faster… and sometimes it WILL go faster if you close the throttle a little bit.

IF your engine is doing this… and the air filter is clean… remove the filter and test ride it again… if it goes faster and "four-strokes" less.. then you need to lean it out with a smaller main jet. A guy named Aurther answered my problem with that and I think he is right

Michael Romano /

well im not running an air filter right now so i wouldnt be able to take it off but what if i tried and put one on could that change it.. it also sprays gas out off the air filter hole well i ordered new jets today from junkyard i got a 55 and 60 jet right now im running a 45 i also got the new air box just to have it on there

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account