Sluggish Puch

Okay! I am trying to figure out the exact problem with this.

The acceleration on my Newport is horrible right now. I have cleaned the head and piston head of carbon. Nothing major seems to be wrong with it.

Could it be:

1.) The humility?

2.) The Tranny fluid?

Anyone?

Re: Sluggish Puch

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx /

didja clean your carb? do you have fuel flow?, is your air restricted or filter dirty?, do you have an air leak in your cylinder? maybe your clutch needs adjusting, maybe you are low on fluid in the tranny. do you have a solid ground connection? is your plug gapped correctly?, is your timing set correctly? these are whatever i could think of off the top of mah head man, work down the list, hope this helped

jay

noviy-lef

swarm and detroit

Ben Van Zoest /

Engine or clutch?

Ben Van Zoest /

I did not mean to question your judgement on that last treadt

onces I had very low tire pressure it seemed was pulling a trailer, it's only a little bitty motor yes... Everything has to be perfect!

I cleaned the carb. I have fuel flow and I changed the fuel out. I have not checked the air filter out yet. I will do that next , I have a spare so I will throw that on and see if I notice a difference. I don't think I have an air leak. I took of the head this weekend but I did not remove the cylinder. I re-attached the pipe while I was at it. I did not look at the clutch but it sounds solid, and the tranny fluid is full. I was thinking of changing it anyway. Plug is all set. I have not touched the timing, but will check that this weekend also.

It might just be the humidity messing with the air/fuel mixture? It did not start doing this until it was really warm and sticky out.

Thanks for the help!

-Fred

Michael Nesson /

I have a newportII that I now use as my parts ped. When I ran the newport it was sluggish until I changed the tranny fluid with 9.5 ozs of new type "F" fluid. Also check the air in the tires...mine rode like towing a trailer until the tires were inflated to the exact spec. Is your exhaust clogged?

Xxxxxxx Xxxxxxx /

you can tighten the clutch too, let me know if there is anything else i can do

jay

noviy-lef

swarm and detroit

Okay. I have lowered the jet size from a 68 to a 66. When I first put the pipe on it was 4 stroking with a 66 jet, now a 66 jet gives me the same performance as the 68 jet. The bike still runs sluggish from a start. Could it be due to the fact that the Bi-turbo I have on it is now has about 300 miles on it? I have changed the tranny fluid, put air in the tires etc.. but still runs slow at a dead stop. Next, I am going to put the old pipe back on and see if I get a the slow low end. Maybe it is something having to do with the pipe. I have read that the bi-turbo does remove lower end..

I would make sure your exhuast pipe and port are totally clean. I was going real slow and having bad acceleration and I un did the pipe from the cylinder and there was a good thick ring of carbon around the port. Most of the time when I find that I am going slow or what not its because of buid up in the port.

Thanks for the info, I have been down that road already! I took the piple off and cleaned it the best I could. I am going to put the old one on and see what happens with that...if the same I will look elsewhere for the problem..

okay you cleaned the biturbo but did you clean the exhuast port in the cylinder?

You may need to adjust the settings on your carb, like the throttle pin setting. There are four notches on the pin that goes through the carb piston. The lower the setting, the more gas you get at low end, and vice versa. What size carb are you using? If its a 15mm, you may want to go up to a 72. If its a 14, a 64 might be okay, if its a 12, it think 54 is a good bet. I'm trying to help, but Bing is not my forte. Also make sure your piston is in the right direction.

A biturbo should give you carbon trouble, normally, after only 300 miles.

Carbon buildup was a good guess, puch love to carbon up. The generic symptom of clogged exhaust is poor throttle response, in addition to quiet and slow running.

Is your bike a 1 speed or 2 speed tranny?

It is a one speed Newport. 2hp.

Brett,

I have not adjusted the pin setting yet. I am running 15mm with a 66 jet. I was running a 68 but switched to a lower and actually it did not make a difference at all. Same top speed and same sluggishness.

Piston is set okay. I removed the carbon from the piston and head (not much there really). I tried my best to get the carbon out of the BiTurbo, it is one piece I believe so difficult getting into the center. I still have not switched off the pipe to the stock yet to see how it is then. I have put 1000 miles on the engine in the past year or so..

Is the filler plug for the tranny on the top of the tranny case or on the side of the tranny near the bottom?

Does the tranny case have the PUCH logo stamped in the metal (not the flywheel cover)

Most 2HP Newports were 2 speeds.

It is a one speed, trusty me on this one.

OK rule that one out.

A typical problem on 2 speeds, is the tranny can get overfilled because the fill plug is on top of the case.

The symptom is the engine runs great but the bike will not move or moves very sluggishly.

Not your problem though because you can't overfill a 1 speed tranny (or at least i haven't seen that yet.)

Have you checked for a brake dragging, the wheel spin test?

You can also try drilling a couple of 3/8" holes in the BACK side of the air filter (side next to frame). If you get too many or too much you can patch them with duct tape.

Hey Fred,

I know we have already discussed the exhuast pipe, but what about the port on the bottom of the cyclinder jug. My port always gets clogged, my pipe is uaually clean and theres a good ring around the port.

I have never gotten good results from messing with the needle jet in the carb and most people have told me that it doesn't really effect things much. Is your back tire rubbing against the swing arm? It could be a loose bearing problem and after a few rounds the wheel moves out of the way of the swingarm.

Your timing could have also slipped, the three screws that hold the stator plate in place could have slided?

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account