Puch Newport - Vibrating

When I get past 25 on my newport and left off the gas, this horribly loud ZIIIIINNNNGGGGG starts screaming out of my engine. What would be causing that? Is it the bar that goes through the back of the piston?

What can I do to get rid of this? I'm tired of everybody giving me annoyed looks.

Thanks

Re: Puch Newport - Vibrating

See Ya Moped Army /

It could be piston slap. The connecting rod bushing could be worn and there could be too much play in the wrist pin.

Ben Van Zoest /

How many miles on that engine?

No idea - not an original speedo. Over 1000 I'm sure. If I bought a performance kit that had a new piston and head, would that fix it?

See Ya Moped Army /

If it's the bushing, it needs to be replaced.

Ben Van Zoest /

What all comes w/ a performance kit, small end bushing (boss)and matched wrist pin which are closely matched items. The shop manual shows allowable wear limit not to exceed .001" You probably would need both.

Okay, so a basic performance kit should fix this problem? (If it's what we think it is)

i had a "ziiiinnngggg' sound one time.. happened when i let off the gas. not too loud at first but it got louder.. High pitched metal-against-metal sound. Eventually, i got that ZING sound more often so i overcame my laziness and got down there and looked for it.

the flywheel had come loose and was rubbing against the magneto coils.

Wow, that'd be nice if it was that easy.

Double checking -

To tighten the flywheel, I take the magneto cover off, and tighten that large nut on the end there?

Thanks so much for your help

i'm not saying your flywheel is loose. Mine did come loose, and the way to fix it depends on why. On mine, the flywheel cracked around the center boss. So, for me, it was more than just a matter of tightening the nut..

Weird sounds are a blessing.. it is a warning.. Lots of times a bike commits suicide without any warning. Go look and see if anything is loose. Bolts and nuts vibrate loose. Test things and try to recreate the noise and isolate it.. ya might get lucky.

Jason Luther /

yeah, the little side reflectors on my maxi would virbate and rattle at high rpm. so i shimmed them with cardboard. i noticed the choke post vibrates too. look for the super easy/obvious first, before you drop $200.-jason

I had a high pitch sqeal and violant shaking when I would let go of my throttle and I found out I broke a piston ring!

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account