motobecane lighting problem

Working with a 1980 mtobecane which has a combination rear single brake/tailight.Problem,the headlight doesn't work if the tailight is connected.when I disconnect the tailight the headlight works just fine.The brakelight is OK and works all the time and the bulb is new. HELP HELP ANY SUGGESTIONS ARE GREATLY APPRECIATED.THANKS.....Peugeot1

Re: motobecane lighting problem

My guess is one of the tail light bulb's wires is somehow grounding out the headlight wire. Installing the tail light bulb completes the path to ground.

I wouldn't begin to mess with a wiring harness unless i had a wiring diagram in front of me. There's very little about a bike's wiring that is intuitive.

IF you are SURE all wires are connected properly, something else about the wires or switches has a fault.. Perhaps a wire's insulation is worn away and that wire is touching the frame or another wire.

For me, the best tools for finding wiring problems like this one are a multimeter and patience..

the wire diagram is in here

http://mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18

The advice in the previous post was excellent, get a multi meter at radio shack, the $15 one is awesome, just make sure to get one that is auto ranging, and makes a beep when checking continutity.

rather that trying to find the bad spot in a burried wire, try running a new one with a new wire (speker cable etc.) between the lamps. then you can verify the problem before destroying your wiring harness.

Motobecane lighting troubleshooting status.I have a test light and a continuity tester.A previous owner has done some creative wiring and has soldered the wires on the brakelight switches.These brakelight switches are three prong and then my peugeot type brake switches.I have unsoldered all the brakelight connections and I now have the Taillight and headlight both working. I now have no brakelights and Moped riders does not have the wiring diagram/schematic that I need.I don't have a wiring diagram and the brake switches are three prong so I am looking at alot of headache ahead! Can anyone help me with a wiring diagram for a 1980 Motobecane.I can check the continuity I think the switches are working but I am not sure what switch gets the feed, which connection gets the switchleg which one gets the ground .There are also wires that went to the horn. On the right hand switch there is a yellow and a black wire and on the left hand switch there is a yellow and a purple wire . ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED .THANKS FOR ALL THE SUGGESTIONS. PEUGEOT1

take a closer look at the manual wiring diagram, page 85, 86

I CAN'T ACCESS THEIR SITE.THE SITE GETS A COUPLE OF PAGES IN THEN FREEZES UP. THANKS FOR THE HELP

Keith Hannah /

Yes, there is a problem with just the motobecane manual on Moped Riders for some reason. Here is the front half of the wiring diagram...

1091325267_motobecanermelec2scr.jpg

Keith Hannah /

and here is the back half.

Enjoy.

Keith

1091325326_motobecanermelec1scr.jpg

I appreciate the help.I never got an attatchment....Where is it....Help Thanks peugeot1

Keith Hannah /

Are you receiving your replies via e-mail? You can only see the attachments here at the board. I'm pretty sure that the attachments don't get sent in the e-mail.

Keith

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account