Clutch and Tranny system on Homemade moped in NJ

Well, im embarking on a quest to mate a jonsored 2171 70cc turbo chainsaw toa moped frame and have it run correctly...i was thinking of using the existing chainsaw clutch since it has pretty high torque and grabbing power but im stuck on how im going to gear this beast...sould i use a variator? I have a spare 77 vespa ciao standard rear with a functioning variatoir or should i not use a tranny and just use a single speed with sprokets? how does this all work... i was hoping if mabye when im free i could go take a look at mopedlar's collection or bassman's so i could figure this out....any suggestions? btw the full throttle max RPM of the engine in that saw is around 14k...it makes 5.3 HP at around 13.5 lbs w/o guide bar and chain

http://www.usa.jonsered.com/node52.asp?product_id=cs2171%5F2004

also if you guys have other saw/engine suggestions please hit me up...PS im probably going to find a willing retailer and trade them a laptop for the saw.

Re: Clutch and Tranny system on Homemade moped in

i dont think that tiny motor will push you and a moped frame

you see, small motors like chain saws and leaf blowers are made to run at high RPM but they have very little torque

old saying..

horsepower sells cars but torque wins races..

Clutch and Tranny system on Homemade moped in NJ

Vespa Ciaos never came with variators...they were just simple single-speed belt drives.

Edwin Johnson /

The big deal is engine rotation ( so you are going forwards and not reverse) and some way to disconnect power so you can stop

Tou really thin that that engine is small?..it nearly 20cc's larger displacement and 6 HP stronger that a generic stock moped engine from say puch or vespa being 2 HP and 1 HP respectivly.

so you think that this engine is too small? or?

help!

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account