Dim lights on Gloria Intramotor (Franco Morini)

So my friend's got this Intramotor. The lights work, but the headlight in particular is very dim. It's getting juice, just not very much. The taillight is bright enough while riding, but gets very dim at idle. The brake light cables are disconnected from the brake levers. Could it be that the brake light is always on, making the headlight dim? Or is it possible that the previous owner installed the wrong coil somwehere? Or perhaps just a poor connection? The bulbs are all the correct voltage and wattage. Help!

Re: Dim lights on Gloria Intramotor (Franco Morini

I had the same problem with a Concord (Minarelli) bike. It turned out there was a short in brake wiring and that was making the light dim. I've heard (don't take much stock) that sometimes a dim light is from a weak magneto. Supposedly you can take them to a bike shop and have them recharged.

BK

Edward Edwards /

I have a moped that when I first got it the brake light was on all the time and when I applied the brakes it would go out. the problem was the wrong brake switch, it should have been a normally closed (N.C) instead of a normally open (N.O). The headlight was dim because the wiring under the insulation turned to a green powder. I replaced the wire and it's OK.

Gregory Mcintire /

The "magneto" is the combination of the flywheel with its magnets and the coils of wire behing the flywheel. That is it. There is nothing to "recharge". It is extremely unlikely that the magnets have weakened. I have never heard of that happening. And if it did, then ALL lights and the spark itself would be weakened, not just one light. It is possible that one or more of the coils has burned out, but that is also very unlikely. The coils are for various things. One will be for supplying power for the ignition. Another will be for the lights. Another may be for the tail light and/or brake light and/or horn or charging a battery if applicable.

The most likely things to cause dim lights are:

1 wrong bulb(s)

2 incorrect wiring. Someone mave have connected wires where they should not be connected or unconnected something that should be connected.

3 Poor wire connections due to corrosion.

4 switches making poor contact.

5 partially shorted wires (pinched somewhere). This would tend to be a flickering lights situation.

I said magneto, but I meant flywheel. I read about it in some scooter magazine a while back. There's a shop in Chicago that can do it. On one level that makes sense (weak magnet), but on the other level it doesn't. The bike I was having trouble with had weak everything electrical. Now that it is rewired it's fine.

BK

Dim lights on Gloria Intramotor (Franco Morini)

Thanks for the help. My best guess is that it's got a poor connection or corroded wire somewhere.

Jason Luther /

or its that headlights always dim out at idle, and brighten up when you hit the throttle. its probably normal.-jason

No, this is not normal...it's barely glowing.

Edwin Johnson /

coould be a 12v lite in a 6 v system

No, as I stated before, the voltages are correct. Besides that, I run a 12V in my Peugeot 103 and it's twenty times brighter than the Intramotor's headlight.

Check the ground on the headlight.............the connection from the SIDE of the bulb base. Also,that probably takes a 6 volt,18 watt or up to 21 watt headlight bulb. Now disconnect the horn wire and try it again. Sometimes the horn connection at the switch would stick, robbing power from the headlight.

don-ohio

I have a similar situation on my TFR that I'm working on... tracing wires is so much fun. =/

Thanks Don, I'll do that. The horn is actually missing from this moped.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account