86' Honda Scooter Draining Battery

I have an 86' Honda scooter/moped. I think it's an express. Here's some information on it, maybe it'll help in identifying the moped.

VIN: JH2HF0315GS116614

Year: 1986

Make: Honda

Model: Scooter

Style/Body: Motorcycle 1-2 Passengers

Engine: 80cc-1-1Bbl-Carb

Country of Assembly: Japan

Max speed: 55 MPH

I bought a new battery for it at a motorcycle shop. They told me which one I needed. They charged it just a bit and I used it, but it died out pretty fast. Figured that would happen since it was new out of the box and only charged a bit. So I took it to Autozone (National car parts store) and I got it charged. Then my friends and I were using the moped and the battery drained quite fast. It lasted longer than the first time before it died, but not very long for the time we had charged it (about 8+ hours). So uh my friends and I figure it's the alternator. We have no idea. Anyone else care to make some suggestions as to what it may be? All the battery is used for is the headlight, rear light, two turn signals in front and back, but mainly to start the moped up.

Re: 86' Honda Scooter Draining Battery

the output of the charging system should be checked. You need to know the specifications for that particular bike. The test is not otherwise difficult to do.

A voltmeter and an ammeter are hooked up, the engine is run at a certain RPM (perhaps 4,000) and measurements are taken. Some models require the headlight to be "on" during the test.

Find a manual and get the specs.

Leon Swarmer /

Not a moped, it's a scooter and definately NOT an express

just with a voltmeter, hook it up and watch it as you start the little beastie. It should drop below the battey's voltage as the started runs and then climbs above it as the scoot idles, then drops after a few minutes after the battery is recharged a bit.

Joew is righ though about finding exact specs, but this will get you started,.

Thanks a lot guys, but I have no idea what a voltmeter is and don't know much about scooters or mopeds. My guess was the alternator (does a scooter even have one?) so my two choices are either to take the moped to a motorcycle shop (like where I got the battery, a new spark plug and some oil) or sell the thing. My friend has a '78 Honda Express and a '86 Spree they both go about 35 miles an hour and don't need a battery either :P His '78 Honda I really really dig. He got them both for about $60. I'm going to try and get photos his mopeds and mine so I can post em up here. I got mine for $175 without the battery though. I'm thinking of selling it though or better yet trading it for an old Honda Express.

A voltmeter and an ammeter might tell me the battery isn't giving off any charge to the battery right?

Well if so, what can I do to fix it or what would I need to replace it?

It's too early to answer the "how to fix it" question.

The electrical system is like anything else.. once you find a part that's not doing it's job, you repair or replace it.

Multimeters are just a tool that lets you see what your eyes can't see. The more skill you have with that tool the better you can pinpoint electrical problems.

If you don't have the skill and knowledge it takes to use a meter and test a magneto ignition system, this situation is a good excuse to develop that skill..

I get the feeling the problem is a simple one and would be discovered in a couple minutes... like the battery is hooked up wrong. Put a meter on it and find out.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account