Tomos A3 Ignition problems

Matthew Yeah /

Okay, I've FINALLY got all of my parts that I need to get the ignition done, but I must be a complete idiot or something.

My coil has an "internal" connector and a short wire that attaches to the coil body (ground).

Coming out of the magneto are 2 wires (blue and black) that were connected to the ignition coil. The blue wire I've attached to the same ground point as the white wire. The black wire is attached the "internal" connection. This is how the moped was wired when I got it, and from what I've seen of the diagrams, it's correct.

I have no spark. However, if I disconnect the blue and black wire, and touch them together, I get spark everytime.

This is a home wiring job, these wires are going ONLY to the coil and ground, not through any thing else, I'm simply trying to get the engine running right now.

What am I doing wrong?!?!?!?!?!

Thanks,

Matt

Re: Tomos A3 Ignition problems

Which ignition assembley do you have on your a3? The correct a3 stator has a 6volt ignition system that has 3 wires ( black, yellow and blue ) comeing out of it. The a35 uses a 2 wire magneto 12v magneto.

What are the numbers on your flywheel?

-chris ( elementsk8er513@aol.com )

Matthew Yeah /

Chris, I've got the 6volt system, and have the blue, black and yellow wires (or did, but have labeled what the new wires are when I soldered them in place).

The flywheel is marked "Ducati Electronica" on one 3rd, "31.17.39" (or "31.17.30") on another third, and has a directional arrow on the third part.

Thanks,

Matt

Have you checked the points with a continuity tester, to make sure they are making a good connection, inthen breaking it when it needs it? Try a diffrent ignition coil if you have one.

Matthew Yeah /

Chris, I'll test the points this week. The coil is good, we pulled it from another bike and it was working on it.

Thanks,

Matt

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account