Solex Flywheel nut

Does anyone know what size nut fits the end of the drive shaft of a solex 3800 ? the old nut was cross threaded and i need to repair the threads but i dont know what size die to use. I'm guessing 10mm but seeing as how both shaft and knut are screwed up I can only make an educated guess. Hey thanks in advance for your help!

Whiffleball

Re: Solex Flywheel nut

at this point it may not matter unless you plan on installing a new crankshaft. It sounds like all the threads are gone, since you cant even measure the pitch.

Is there enough meat on the shaft to clean it up and thread the next smaller thread size and use a matching nut? If it were me i might try that depending on how things look..

Welding up and turning down the crank and then threading the original thread doesn't seem like a viable option.

well, further down the shaft there is enough to be cleaned up, maybe torque it to half the spec. and make a steel flywheel key, but i cant get the nut past the realy bad stuff I'm trying to find an easy way out of doing the inevitable overhaul. What you are suggesting i'm sure is the right answer and after much frustration and a long pedal i too will reach this conclusion. thanks!

Wiffleball

John Joedicke /

Just checked a old 3800 parts motor I have. You are talking the nut at the points side? Nut is 14 mm, 10mm thread by 1.25 pitch. Hope this helps you, a thread chaser nut you should have no trouble getting to clean it up. Cheers, John

Hey, thanks! thats perfect You wouldn't happen to have an extra flywheel would you?

John Joedicke /

Got a old 3800 engine, not all there though. No tank, guards or controls but the carb and basic engine is there and it is not seized. You are in Michigan I see, Long way away from me. I will be at Ike's ride in Ohio on the 6th. Come on down and ride. If you do I'll throw in the motor, if you can pass me 25 bucks.

Man that would rock, but i can't get off of work, trust me, i tried. Lame excuse i know, but the summer's not over yet!

For any missing solex parts try ebay.fr I am riding an 1962 2200 that I found here in france for 50 bucks !! May be worth having one shipped for the price they cost here ? Anyway have fun and good luck...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account