1980 moby wont keep running need ideas

so i'm pretty new at the workings of a moped. i've got a 1980 moby mobecane, with a great spark, when i give it the good old pedal power the engine starts up but if i stop peddling it dies. also if i start to give it throttle it just dies also. a friend of mine sugested the coil was shot, but im willing to ask the members of the forum for ideas thanks

brandon

Re: 1980 moby wont keep running need ideas

Sounds like a carb issue. Buy some starter fluid and see if it will run on that. Try spraying it into the spark plug hole, then putting the spark plug in, and spraying some in the air filter. If it runs for a second and then dies again, you know that the problem is with fuel flow and or mixture.

Brandon Henry /

thanks for the advise, well i gave it a shot of spray in both areas and it did the same thing. i pedal and then it starts up but as soon as i give it some throttle it boggs down and stops. if its a fuel mixture issue any ideas on how i should tackle that. and also how would you test a coil? i just want to make sure that's not the issue. thanks guys

It sounds to me like the engine isn't starting at all. you are just turning it over. read freds guide

http://www.mopedarmy.com/resources/articles/fredsguide/

if you are getting "great spark" your coil is probably fine.

Brandon Henry /

yeah printed that out im gonna work on the moped with fred's guide and well see what happens thanks all for your help

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account