Carb stuff on Honda Passport

how do you remove the needle attatched to the throttle cable from the carb, and will gumout work on parts of the carb which have accumulated stuff over the years?

Re: Carb stuff on Honda Passport

the needle and throttle cable are seperate.. not really connected.

The cable attaches to the slide. The needle and it's clip are held in the slide by the return spring.

First disconnect the cable end from the slide, then remove the spring. The needle and it's clip can now be pulled out.

Clean it with whatever you like, but many things will disolve in soap and water that will not disolve in gumout.. soap and water washes off the last traces of whatever other solvents you use.

Paint thinner cuts greasy stuff fast and it's cheap. So you might use a couple different solvents.. Acetone, kerosene, whatever.

I have a gallon can of gumout .. been sitting there for years.. no idea why i bought it. But it's a lot cheaper by the gallon.

How do you access the slide to disconnect the cable?

you remove the top cap. Unscrew it.. The slide and spring and needle will come out as an assembly, still attached to the cable..

I see, I was gonna do that but I thought I could've damaged something doing so, but thanks for the tips

if this is all new to you, pay close attention to how things go together. That slide fits in only one way. A pin guides it. And memorize or take notes on how the spring, slide, clip are related.. This goes for the rest of the carb too.

Oh yeah, I noticed the needle seems to go into a valve which is in the top half of the carb, I unscrewed it and it is covered in gunk, same goes for the inside of it, should I put it in a solvent as well?

You might take some time out and learn about solvents. Some attack aluminum (bases) and some attack rubber.. Plastics are not immune.

You are pretty safe using commmercial carb cleaners IF you read and follow lable warnings of what to NOT soak in them.. And mild stuff like, like kerosene is usually OK but genuine rubber parts may swell in kerosene depending on the rubber compound.. So, best way is to strip all the parts, remove O-rings and gaskets and treat everything according to the material's needs.

If you can get by with just soap and water and some stiff little toothbrushes, do that. Be a minimalist. Use only as much chemical force as is necessary.

alrighty then

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account