clogged muffler

gentlemen-

muffler from my 78 garelli supersport is clogged up. runs fine without it on, but when i put it on it bogs down and stalls out.

i've been soaking it in degreaser and water, hosing it out, putting oven cleaner in it and letting sit, then hosing it out... and yes carbon chunks are falling out but it isn't helping enough.

who knows how to thoroughly clean one? i've talked to a few muffler and radiator shops, but no one is willing to put it in a boil out tank, which we thought would do the trick. so, what kind of toxic, nasty chemicals do i need? would boiling it on the stove in hot water loosen it up?

someone has to have a great solution... thanks

Re: clogged muffler

See Ya Moped Army /

I rod the muffler out like I was cleaning my M16 in the Army. Chemicals will loosen grease but do little to remove carbon.

Bruce Wilkinson /

Put it in a campfire and let it get orange. That will burn the carbon out.Now that you have soaked it with cemicals there might be a chance of an explosion. This is what is done according to 'Freds Guide to fixing your moped' in the resources section. I did it on my Ciao muffler and it worked. bruce

on the campfire, good idea... Ryan says we could throw it on the barbecue and toast it that way too... i'll give it a try... and stand back...

bring it on over dude, i guess we burn it clean

I'd like to try this myself...but do you have to remove the inside if you try to burn it out?

Bruce Wilkinson /

NO, just toast the whole muffler. bruce

crap...forgot to ask will I need to repaint the muffler after doing the roast?

Bruce Wilkinson /

I repainted mine with BBQ heat paint ( mat black ) bruce

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account