NP-50MA Cuts Out at Speed

Jim Holcomb /

At 40 kph an slower, my NP-50MA runs great. At 45-50 kph it cuts out. You're going along and it looses power, then powers on again, then looses power, etc. So you have this staccato effect of deceleration/acceleration. It has only about 400 km on it. It worked fine until recently. Any ideas? Thanks.

Re: NP-50MA Cuts Out at Speed

Tab Patterson /

I know mine runs rich and can sometimes do just that. I am looking at ways to open up that airbox. Mine cuts out at 50 to 55kph. It's the way they slowed 'em down.

Jim Holcomb /
jdh OP

Thanks. I wish mine would go that fast before cutting out. Anything over 40 kph and there's the problem. Also, it use to go 50 without the problem.

Tab Patterson /

How many turns out are you running your idle mix screw? I'm at about 2 1/2 turns. Any more than that will make it 4-stroke a bit more on the top end.

Jim Holcomb /
jdh OP

I was out further than that and backed it back to your suggested 2-1/2. But it didn't make a difference. I put a fuel filter on it, which seems to have made it worse. So this makes me suspect it's a fuel problem and I will bite the bullet, pull the carb, and blow it out. Maybe there's a blockage somewhere. Thanks.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account