help me get running and ill hook you up.

i cant get my scoot to start for the life of me. i

cleaned out the fuel tank thinking it would help things out, as there

was rust in it. now it wont start. i was trying to start it with my

truck battery and recently found out thats not a hot idea, anyways, i

shorted some stuff out, but got all new electronics on ebay, new

harness, the whole thing. now its getting a spark, and i cleaned out

the carb today, still not working tho. it will kinda startup a little

sometimes for just a second. i think ive tried everything short of

pulling the engine apart.

oh yeah, its an express sr 1982 (nx50m) and i have the shop manual for

it as well.

i am willing to bring it to you, but i dont have much cash to spare

right now as im moving next month. are you open to barters of any

kind? i

have a few years practice tuning skis snowboards and bicycles at rei.

i have a few xbox games i dont play much. i can also get an xbox

modded with games for very cheap. anything else you might be looking

for let me know.

any help you can offer would rule as ive spent countless frustrated

hours trying to get it to run.

i live in federal way/seattle area

Re: help me get running and ill hook you up.

See Ya Moped Army /

You may be better off asking this question on one of the scooter forums.

Casey Halone /

can anyone help me? ive rebuilt my ac generator but the spark doesnt look to blue or strong. i dont know what else to do.

Ben Van Zoest /

Did you hook up a 12V batt. to a 6V system? Have you replaced the points condensor w/ new?

Did you check all the basics, you said you checked spark, but what about the timeing, fuel and compression?

If you have good compression and decent spark the bike should atleast sputter, is it compltley dead when trying to start? Check if your plug is getting wet. When you dump some gas down the cylinder does it sputter at all?

-chris

Casey Halone /

i did hook up my truck to the ped. but, i replaced almost all the electronics and it does start sometimes for a few seconds. i found out the scoot is only 2amps and trucks are like 8amps, so that messed somthing up i think, but, it seems to work a little. what could i clean or rebuild that would help? reed valves?

What happened to the 7amp fuse in the wiring harness under the seat? Did it blow when you jumped it using your truck?

Did you replace the starter motor and generator?

You mentioned a rusty gas tank. Hard to tell but I suspect the problem is related to gas and not electical.

Have you tried squirting some starter fluid or gas in the cylinder through the spark plug hole and then using a New spark plug trying to start it.

Could be the fuel valve (vacuum type), Could be carb needs reclaening and new "O" ring gaskets.

Could be the air mixture screw is not set correctly.

Do you have a Service Manual?

Casey Halone /

fuses are fine,

i rebuilt starter motor and generator

ill try a fresh tank of gas i suppose. and some starter fluid.

the gaskets in the carb looked fine when i cleaned it out.

ive set the air screw to 1.75 turns out, like the manual says.

and yes i have the manual.

Drain the float bowl and then close the drain screw. Then crank the bike over a few times then recheck the float bowl to see if the vacuum fuel valve is working to pump gas to the float bowl.

If it doesn't appear to be pumping fuel, check the fuel lines for cracks or splits. or loose ends.

If the fuel valve appears to working OK, then make sure you thorughly disassemble the carb and use carb cleaner and compressed air to blow out any orfices you can see on the carb. Make sure to clean parts #2 and #20 on the attached exploded parts view. Remove part #2 (the one above #20, part of the needle jet, set) for cleaning and cover one end with your finger and squirt some wd40 or carb cleaner in the other end and make sure the all the tiny holes are open and spraying.

Check part #20 that you can see light through it.

Sometimes it takes some priming to get the vacuum fuel valve working by using starter fluid or a a teaspoon of premix in the cylinder to get the engine to briefly start and suck any air bubbles out of the fuel lines.

If you do all theis thorughly then you can cross the fuel system off your trouble shooting check off list as being the problem.

Also check your compression, should be at least 100 psi better if it is higher around 140 psi.

1090520868_honda_nx50m_carb.jpg

Casey Halone /

thanks alot man, ill try those things this weekend.

where did you get those expoded veiws? online?

how much would it cost do you think for a compression test at a shop? it just hasnt ran since i cleaned the tank so im thinking its a fuel system problem you know?

Go to <www.partsfish.com> and register (it's free) and then ADD a motorcycle under Honda and then find the year and your moped in the list and select and ADD it. They have exploded parts view and parts list for almost all of your bike.

Good luck and Happy Trails

Casey Halone /

alrighty, ive cleaned out part #2 and #20 along with the whole carb, again, and still isnt starting , but it does with starter fluid for a few seconds.

does this mean i am close to getting back on the road? thanks to everyone for helping out.

Casey Halone /

what should i have my throttle and air screw set to in order to fire it up? ive played with them so much i have no idea where they should sit.

ok if the starting fluid made it run for a bit then its a fuel related problem

something is stopping the fuel from getting to the spark

I don't have a manual for your bike but most Honda 50 cc the setting on the air mixture screw is turn it all the way in until it stops but don't force it. Then back it out 1 1/2 or two complete turns. Throttle or idle screw can be about half way in.

Remove the spark plug (use a new one with a gap of about .016-.020) squirt in the starter fluid or a teaspoon of gas and immediately replce the plug and try to start it but don't have any gas or starter fluid can close by.

Casey Halone /

i think i may remove my fuel lines and install an inline filter and remove the screen from the tank. i had to pry the screen out when i cleaned the tank and maybe it got to chewed up from that?

throttle stop screw half way in, what does that look like? turn it in then remove a few turns?

should i regap my plug? will this effect starting? and should i screw the plug in all the way or just throw it on a few turns?

Casey Halone /

still not starting again. cleaned out fuel screen again.

seriously, if someone can get this beast running, i will mod your xbox, chip, games and a lighted jewel. i will make you xbox do things youve dreamed about.

if you live near seattle, please help me out! i feel so lost on this bike. ive tryed so many things.

Casey Halone /

if you think i am joking, take a look at my xbox here and see what ive done to it. ive done many others as well.

<url>

http://img5.photobucket.com/albums/v22/kaylinsmommy11603/PIRATE%20XBOX/<url>;

Nick Hoisington /

Ok, here's the deal there is no need for you to send the moped here. Take your moped down to a local Mechanic or a moped dealer. Ask them if they could look at a few things, First look at your POINTS if they need to be adjusted have them do that. Second look at your AIR FILTER see if its clean. Next you need to look at your SPARK PLUG if its brand- new then you need to get it sized by a mechanic, if the spark plug is old look at it!, if it is black you need a new spark plug, if it has a any bent pieces on it get a new one because that means something is wrong. But if the spark plug is like grey and looks like the end of a bottle rocket after you shoot it off then keep it on there that mean there is no problem. If you are going to buy a new spark plug then make sure that it is the right type and kind. The last thing it might be is that you clutch is set right or the gas intake isn't right but that is a last resort. So, after you do that stuff tell me what happens. If it doesn't work ill ask my friends about some more stuff. Good luck!

-Nick-

This is Seattle, there aren't any moped dealers. =P

Have you read fred's guide on this site? It's for moped but there might be some applicable information for your scooter...

Casey Halone /

ive read the guide.

i know there are dealers, many wont touch older bikes and my main problem is i dont want to dump money into this bike, but i am willing to trade labor.. and xbox games etc...

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account