1980 Vespa Piaggio Ciao

I have a problem starting my moped, as listed above as the subject it is a 1980 Vespa Piaggio Ciao Super, now its in prety good condition considering the age, but i can't get it to spark. I have cleaned most of it, i cleaned the points, and i still have to check the wires and coil, but I was wondering where i could find parts for this. I have been online looking for a day and a half and have only found dead ends. I hope someone can help me to find somwhere to get parts. Thanks

Re: 1980 Vespa Piaggio Ciao

one these vespas sometimes if the breaklight has a short or if it is broken that will interupt the circuit and you won't get spark. check that, i had to connect the break light wires on the handle bars once on a bike i had. if the break light is missing, just connect the two wires that go to it.

that's one option

Bruce Wilkinson /

Vespasupershop was the best place to get parts, but it seems to have vanished. Angelo in Italy says he has most parts for Vespas, but I have not ordered from him as yet. His email is angelo.massimino@tiscalinet.it If you set the points then you must have taken off the belt and clutch and rubber plug to get to them, right? The points gap is .015 ". Try a new sparkplug NGK B6HS gapped at .020". Check out 'Freds guide to fixing your moped' in the resources section.

I have heard awesome things about Angelo.

"I have heard awesome things about Angelo."

His prices are good, he ships promptly and he packs things well enough to survive a nuclear blast!

Jake Van Order /

although not the same, I had a problem with a TFR Kinetic with is similar to the Vespa engine. It turned out to be a bad coil.

To see if your electrical system is still intact, this is what I do. Take a 6v battery. Get some wires with alligator clips and connect the negative to the ground on the bike (cylinder heads are great). Put a piece of paper between the points so they aren't touching. Place the spark plug onto the cylinder like you are testing for spark. With the positive wire, touch the top of the condensor quickly. Does the spark plug spark? If so, your circuit is complete. If not, you have a broken connection or are grounded somewhere.

Hope that helps. Good luck

--jake

Jake, does that test work even if your condensor is bad?

Jake Van Order /

if your condensor is bad, it will work. I think.

the way to tell if your condensor is bad is if the engine is running and you can see spark jumping the points. Also, if your bike runs for 5/10 minutes, dies, you let it cool down and then dies again.

word.

--jake

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account