Columbia doesn't want to slow down

I posted something before but somehow lost the link. So here it goes again. My Columbia Commuter won't slow down. Once it is revved up it won't slow at all. The line to the throttle won't recoil and I believe that is part of the problem. I know squat about mechanics but would love to learn. Is anyone in Boston looking to take on this project for some $ and beers? Thanks doods.

Re: Columbia doesn't want to slow down

Ben Van Zoest /

Yea, by all symptoms you described the carb end of the throttle cable slipped out the slide, this is hell unless you have a carb parts page do you want it?

Fortdrastic .com /

Bernard,

Thanks for getting back to me. It's hot out and I want to ride. On this carb parts page does it teach you how to fix it? If so definitely pass it along. If it's a huge ass pain perhaps you might know of mechanics in the Boston / Cambridge area who would fix such a problem? You're great. Enjoy the weekend everyone.

Ben Van Zoest /

diagram is on the way, I will try to find slide hook up proceedure it's the worst part if you haven't done it before.

Edwin Johnson /

I have a sachs commuter....If the cable slipped out the return spring would stop the slide from reving at all. ..I bet the cable is frayed , grip is hanging up , cable came out of the hole on the grip mount or the return spring is broke..

REmove left side cover...there should be 2 screws in the top of

the carb where the thottle cable goes in .....loosen these screws slowly and equally until the top and the slide assem. come out.

you should be able to see the problem if it is in the carb..be careful. there are clips and washers to keep track of.

this site www.themopedjunkyard.com/ has some pics under sachs/carb or bing carb

good luck

Ben Van Zoest /

I had to re-think this problem, you said it would not slow down.. From that I assume the twist grip was able to pull up the slide and the cable is still connected in the slide, the slide is the round cylinder that lives in the carb.

Mayby the cable/shield need lubbing or the slide is sticking? I thought to pass this on and avoid for you having to open the upper carb section.

You should hear a click when slide returns to home position on mine I hear a nice snap from the slide and twist grip after letting the twist grip go. Motor off of course.

It would be highly unlikely that the slide's massive return spring could break. Keep us posted

Fortdrastic .com /

You guys are the best. Thanks for all the tips. I'm gonna go bang away on the ol Columbia it tomorrow when I'm not as hungover. Again keep the ideas coming and I'll try 'em all out. Thanks again.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account