Sputtering problem with 1979 Motobecane 50v

I have a 1979 Motobecane 50V. The bike recently started to sputter while riding. There seemed to be a pull and tug during the sputtering….as i were downshifiting or something. The bike would eventually stop completely.

any advice as to what the problem is. thanks

Re: Sputtering problem with 1979 Motobecane 50v

Andy Kochvar /

There are so many problems that could happen. Check fuel flow to carb, clean your carb WELL, make sure the fuel mixture is correct, and check compression.

Keith Hannah /

Have a look at the repair manual. The troubleshooting guide is near the end.

http://www.mopedriders.org/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=18

That sounds like a fuel flow problem. Assuming you have gas in the tank, we can locate the source of this problem in your carb, which i also assume is a Gurtner. The float bowl on these has a tendency to build up corrosion after a long time of sitting. This can cause your float to work incorrectly and your carb to run out of gas to supply your engine with. I reccomend taking some steel wool and having at that float bowl to be sure the surface is smooth and clean. Also be sure to assemble the carb exactly as it says in the manual.

Matthew Westberg /

Does anybody know why the links for the repair manual are down? It stops after the first page (removing/remounting the engine) and the next page link only takes you back to the same page.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account