puch flywheel

Rayn Kozikowski /

i checked my flywheel and one of the magnets that go around the flywheel is off its original spot. whenever i go over 20mph it seens to bog out. then when i go like 30-35mph tranny oil sprays out of the flywheel cover. what the hell is going on!!!! i recently put on a 70cc kit does that have anything to do with it?

Re: puch flywheel

James Foster /

The purple left-hand crankcase seal behind the rotor is probably why. Try draining the trans. fluid and replacing it, but you might need to disassemble the crankcase to get to it. As for the magnet, you could try to put it back into position, but if it won't budge, you could just buy a new flywheel. You might want to consider getting a puch owners workshop manual or a service manual incase you need to take apart the crankcase.

Hope this helps,

JF

Rayn Kozikowski /

is there any way to take the flywheel of without a flywheel puller???

No, there is not. Transmission fluid should _not_ be coming out the flywheel (left) side of the bike. If it's coming out of the gearbox (right) side of the bike, you likely need to fix the gearbox gasket and/or tighten the cover on more. If it's coming out the left side and you're sure it's transmission fluid (I'm thinking two-stroke oil, or perhaps even chain oil would be more likely?) then follow the previous poster's advice.

Jason Luther /

i have never used a puller to get flywheels (magnetos) off. though i have never taken it off of my puch, my three other peds i just took the nut off, and then pryed up with two flat ply-bars on opposite sides of the flywheel and it pops off. unless puch has some sort of tricky flywheel, it should work.-jason

Rayn Kozikowski /

the flywheel just bent it diddn't come off, now i need a new one for sure

James Foster /

I got my 3 jaw puller from an auto zone, and it got the job done for me. You could probably find one at a local auto parts store. And you can get a replacement flywheel from here: http://www.themopedjunkyard.com/puchignition.html

JF

Jason Luther /

bent the flywheel? geez how hard did you pry?-jason

Rayn Kozikowski /

idn it wouldn't come off im just gonna go buy a new flywheel and a flywheel puller

Andy Kochvar /

I just bent my flywheel too...i used a 3 prong flywheel puller and it bent my flywheel and still didn't come off...yes i did take the nut off.

Gregory Mcintire /

After you have applied a fair amount of torque to your puller, you need to hit the puller bolt with a hammer. The Puch uses a fairly wide taper on the crankshaft and it should never require enough puller torque to bend the flywheel.

Rayn Kozikowski /

does anyone have a pic of what this 3 prong flywheel puller looks like so i can go buy one?

Andy Kochvar /

Is this the same way to remove a garelli's ss xl flywheel too? once i get some torque with the 3 prong i hit the BOLT in the middle with a hammer?

James Foster /

Look at the attachment and you'll see it has three jaws and a forcing screw in the middle. Just ask the person at the desk for a three jaw/sprocket puller. I got mine from an auto zone for $20.(6 month's rent) You can return it and get you're money back, but I just kept mine because you'll probably need it more than once.

JF

1090097079_mvc614f.jpg

Rayn Kozikowski /

thanks for the help!!!

James Foster /

No problem, anytime. :)

JF

Re: You don't need a flywheel puller

see pic

all you have to do is make a notch on casing as in pic,

using a screwdriver slide it into the flywheel hole into 1 of the unused slots on pick up back plate and loosen bolt, after bolt is removed wedge screwdriver as in pic and tap 1 time lightly on center of flywheel(NOT THE CRANK) and flywheel will pop off.Good luck

1090124212_flywheelnotch.jpg

Bumped fer ya

thanks, i suppose it doesn't hurt to have a flywheel puller anyways.

I have a couple of bicycle crank pullers . One of them always fits. They are metric - contact a bikeshop they won't loan a tool but they may pop it off for you free.

Try using the "correct" tool for the job. I promises it makes life soooooo much easier. Spend $50 on the 3 puch e50 tools. Get a magneto holder a puch specific flywheel puller and a clutch puller.

I finally gave in after using bull shit methods to rip my engines apart and will never go back.

It takes me 30 seconds to pop a flywheel and most of that time is looking for tools.

« Go to Topics — end of thread

Want to post in this forum? We'd love to have you join the discussion, but first:

Login or Create Account